Gosling struggling! Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassiesoo

Hatching
Jun 22, 2023
We rescued a Canadian gosling from our pond in our back garden. The family migrate here every year. The gosling was found on its back soaking wet and struggling with its legs by the edge of the pond.

We dried her off been force feeding her and making sure she gets lots of water.
She must be around 4 weeks old maybe older.

She can’t walk at all she just rolls straight onto her back. I haven’t left her side for 2 days. She can’t put weight on her feet without me holding her for a bit of balance.
She stayed inside with us last night and today she seems to have taken a turn for the worst.

Her head is bashing around everywhere and she keeps opening her beak to breathe.

I have seen insects/mites in her feathers.

It’s very distressing to see her like this. I don’t really know what’s going on?

I have just given her some b complex with water. I’ve ordered some nutritional yeast and given her some electrolytes.

Nothing has started to work as of yet.
She has finally just settled to go to sleep but I’m up all night making sure she’s not on her back.

I spoke to soon she’s just knocked herself over! Her neck is bent right over and she looks very uncomfortable.

I don’t know if anyone knows what’s going on?
Any help would be great!

Thanks

Im so sorry!
This sounds like a vitamin E deficiency. Other vitamins could also be lacking so if you can get a liquid multivitamin that would be good.
Vitamin deficiencies can take a while to notice improvement so you may need to make a sling or chicken tractor for her in the meantime.

Unfortunately there are other possible reasons for this, botulism, viruses, lead poisoning to name a few.

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act prohibits the taking, killing, capturing, transporting, harboring of the birds or hatching eggs, that which are Native to the United States of America and Europe. All are protected by state and federal agencies.

https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php

https://www.birdlife.org/europe-and-central-asia/policy/species-protection-and-hunting-birds

Any threads started on this subject will be closed.

Thank you for your understanding.

-BYC Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom