Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

Eating my chickens don't bother me, but thinking about eating my goslings does. Guess I'm strange that way. Now I'm adding duck to the flock next week so that will be another, to eat or not to eat type thing. Although I don't think crested ducks are meat ducks.

Even though I new to chickens Im kinda doing the same. All my birds are dual purpose egg layers

The only thing NOT allowed to be meat here is the Dewlaps
wink.png
. Chickens, rabbits, ducks and Embdens are all a possibility. I always plan butchering a week or so early and work on getting in the mind set to do it. It's not always easy but it is much better meat then the grocery.

The only thing NOT allowed to be meat here is the Dewlaps
wink.png
. Chickens, rabbits, ducks and Embdens are all a possibility. I always plan butchering a week or so early and work on getting in the mind set to do it. It's not always easy but it is much better meat then the grocery.

I know. Our meat birds have a much better life than factory raised birds do. Its just, i raised the babies and its hard lol

If you can take a pic of his side head so i can see if hes still a boy XD but you can take all the time in the world( i find it very hard to make good pics of goslings since they just wont stop moving! :) )

Ok, so lets play what gender is this goose. I need help figuring this out. Snow is slightly taller than Jasper and has more knob development than Jasper. Jasper is wearing a leg band and Snow is not.

the whole gaggle together. Jasper is in front

Snow has his head up

Jasper

Jasper and Snow. Snow's head is higher than Jasper's

Jasper and Snow. Snow is walking toward the camera

I feel pretty confidant that Snow is a gander. But Jasper seems to be throwing mixed signals so I am very confused. What do you guys think? Is Jasper in fact a Jasmine?

Last edited:

Chip reading the Argos cataloge :)
He wants a trampoleen.
But no he wont XD
Im loving the mix breed type!
Maybe i will want this mix breed again next year :-V
Lets see what they look like when older and their nature.
But first i want to see if its a good layer and good meat then i will go futher with it.
And im trying to get a breed that looks like a steinbacher and will produce babies that look like steinbachers (offcourse i need a boy and girl that look like steinbachers and they shouldent be near related )
Wow i see a lot of work in future breeding :)
its so fun

Starfire i love those babies! And in the last pic you have a male on the left and a ovious female of right
Are you sure Jasper is a girl? S/he is in all the pics, the one with the black leg band. Does it scream girl in all the pics?
Anyone else think Jasper is a Jasmine?

And thanks! I love my babies too.

Last edited:
The only thing NOT allowed to be meat here is the Dewlaps ;) .  Chickens, rabbits, ducks and Embdens are all a possibility. I always plan butchering a week or so early and work on getting in the mind set to do it. It's not always easy but it is much better meat then the grocery.

Exactly how I feel. It took me months to build up to the first one even though he was a nasty rooster. I had to force myself to watch you tube videos on how to dress a chicken. Still, the OH does the "deed" I do the rest. And yes, home reared meat is soo much better than mass produced shop bought birds.

I know. Our meat birds have a much better life than factory raised birds do. Its just, i raised the babies and its hard lol

I raised most of my hens and all my roosters except Tarzan (aka Big Daddy) ;) but they were not as friendly as the geese. I can't eat Moose!!!! I haven't decided on Mmmmm yet. S/he may get away with it on account of the good looks! :lol:

If you can take a pic of his side head so i can see if hes still a boy XD but you can take all the time in the world( i find it very hard to make good pics of goslings since they just wont stop moving! :) )

I don't know if you saw my earlier post? Mmmmm has been very protective of Moose today by getting in between him an the dog, mouth open in an attempt to bite and "honking" away. Is that even something a male would do at that age?

Ok, so lets play what gender is this goose. I need help figuring this out. Snow is slightly taller than Jasper and has more knob development than Jasper. Jasper is wearing a leg band and Snow is not. the whole gaggle together. Jasper is in front Snow has his head up Jasper Jasper and Snow. Snow's head is higher than Jasper's Jasper and Snow. Snow is walking toward the camera I feel pretty confidant that Snow is a gander. But Jasper seems to be throwing mixed signals so I am very confused. What do you guys think? Is Jasper in fact a Jasmine?
I'd be inclined to agree with you. So it's probably the opposite! :lau

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom