Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

Didn't think of that. Hmm, that is a good point. so you think the hatcher would take Cream if I contacted them? Everyone I have asked says I would get to keep him and get the female I wanted, because of bio security reasons. I wasn't really wanting to give him back, I just have more suspected gander than geese and I wanted to have them at least in pairs to keep them somewhat happy during breeding season. A male African is not an issue, I could always try and find him a white girlfriend of either chinese or african blood, to go with his brown African girlfriend. And still have Snow as my Chinese gander. It wouldn't be a hard change to make, and might even allow me to play around mixing Chinese and African bloodlines, which could be fun. I already plan on mix breeding my chickens to create a better dual purpose bird for meat and egg production for myself, why not play goose breeder as well? Lol.

Dang, I went from chicken math to goose math without pause!

Cream, my suspect gander might be developing a dewlap. It is just a little saggy area under his chin, but it is cute!
Well I mix-n-match my chickens for my purposes, and I also sell the meat-birds for eating. But I also have the breeds for looking pretty, which always sell well here.
I have no idea if they´d take back a gosling...I imagine not, but things don´t work like that here...I don´t know of any "Metzer"-type farms around here..nothing like it.
But I have a sneaking feeling you won´t be keeping snow.
Pairs is good. The females are definitely happier that way.
How are the two youngest chinese doing?

Well I mix-n-match my chickens for my purposes, and I also sell the meat-birds for eating.  But I also have the breeds for looking pretty, which always sell well here.
I have no idea if they´d take back a gosling...I imagine not, but things don´t work like that here...I don´t know of any "Metzer"-type farms around here..nothing like it.
But I have a sneaking feeling you won´t be keeping snow.
Pairs is good.  The females are definitely happier that way. 
How are the two youngest chinese doing? 

Lol! I just might name my next gander Paris! The littlest Chinese are doing great! Big, fat, happy, and finally getting their first feather shafts on their fuzzy butts. They are 3 weeks old and I can barely see the feather nubs, but they are there! Those 2 love swimming! They are a joy to watch. I think they are another goose/gander pair. :barnie

The situation with Cream has been handled. The feedstore wanted to do a straight up trade. My month old Cream for a 3 day old female gosling. I would have none of it. I knew they would resell Cream at a higher price due to his size and age, making a profit off of me. I did take both Peaches and Cream to let them see the differences and 1 employee agreed with me that Cream was bigger, the other said he didn't know geese well enough to say. We spoke for about half an hour and came to an arrangement, I purchased 2 goslings, also sexed as female Africans, for half price. Basically a buy 1 get 1 free deal, and i got to keep Cream! The feedstore will contact their hatchery and most likely get sent replacement birds and so still make a profit. I think both parties are reasonably happy and I give this feedstore very high marks for customer service. Much better than the feed store I purchased my first batch of geese and chickens at.

Last edited:
Now I have a different question. I have my geese on Purina Flockraiser crumbles, am mixing it with the last game bird feed I have to use it up then just the Flockraiser for them. The Flockraiser also is sold as a non-medicated laying pellet. Would this be good for the geese during laying season? Or should I keep them on the crumbles for the rest of their lives and just put a bowl of calcium in their coop, free choice? The geese book I read did not state one way or the other, just that like chickens they need extra calcium during laying season.

This lil gander is my B.AfricanXBuffAfrican/whitechinese love this little fella and he has orange markings and has a very ovious knob area :)

Pics please!
These 2 are still inside as they are still hobbled

Pure buff ducklings with some buff crosses

Buff and Grey Dewlap Toulouse 1 and 2 week olds

Have two more goslings that hatched today and a third working it's way out. One of my grey goslings kept jumping into the water bowl and it had some of the egg sack still exposed and I believe that baby has picked up and infection and is fading on me!
Not eating just laying around. I have put electrolytes in the water and pushed baby's bill into it but nothing. So guess he has the fading gosling syndrome.. Such a shame I hate to lose babies!!!!!
hit.gif
hugs.gif

Now I have a different question. I have my geese on Purina Flockraiser crumbles, am mixing it with the last game bird feed I have to use it up then just the Flockraiser for them. The Flockraiser also is sold as a non-medicated laying pellet. Would this be good for the geese during laying season? Or should I keep them on the crumbles for the rest of their lives and just put a bowl of calcium in their coop, free choice? The geese book I read did not state one way or the other, just that like chickens they need extra calcium during laying season.
I feed all my waterfowl pellets... after they feather in of coarse
wink.png

These 2 are still inside as they are still hobbled Pure buff ducklings with some buff crosses Buff and Grey Dewlap Toulouse 1 and 2 week olds :hugs I feed all my waterfowl pellets... after they feather in of coarse ;) So non-medicated laying pellet is ok for geese? I can put them on it during breeding/laying season? After laying season is over should the adult geese stay on laying pellet or go back to crumbles?

Back
Top Bottom