Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

I love you guys for being so understanding and supportive.  Not everyone understands how hard a loss a goose can be.  I look forward to happier times soon when we can give newly hatched goslings to our grieving gander.

As for trapping raccoons, I am hell bent on wiping out the current local population.  I know where their path onto my property is and use cheap can food.  We have trapped dozens of raccoons on our property this way.  I was rather surprised to find my two traps empty this morning, but hubby and I patrolled the property every few hours last night.  I will be shocked if they are empty again tomorrow.

I hope you get the coons before they hurt anymore of your precious darlings.

So woke up this morning to the third chick mostly out.. Helped it the rest of the way, its foot was stuck to the egg?? Anyways, watched it for a bit, it seemed fine so I went ahead and went grocery shopping figuring I would let it stay in there and dry off.. Came home 2 hours later and it was dead!!! Just broke my heart
hit.gif
... Last egg was zipping tho so I didn't have much time to think about it, as soon as it was out I removed the dead chick.. All seemed fine, no bleeding , no marks.. Navel had some white stuff around it? I haven't noticed it in any of the other goslings...

Forth chick is almost ready to put with his mates and that will conclude my attempt at hatching geese... At least for this year..

Oh by the way, Wrong way is eating chick feed and grass, wont hardly let me put it down to what he isn't on me lol.. Chick #2 is followings his lead but more interested in playing in the water..I'll get pictures when they are all dry and everything settles down..

2nd incubator with Chicks and turkeys, chicks set to hatch tomorrow, Turkeys on Monday... Already got a pip in a chicken egg
wee.gif
So sorry you lost one of the goslings, but happy to hear you have 3 healthy ones.. Congrats!

So sorry you lost one of the goslings, but happy to hear you have 3 healthy ones.. Congrats!

I have lost chicks before and mind you, its never easy...But these little ones have taken my heart...Myself, my husband and daughter simply cannot stay away they are so sweet and personable... I think its kinda cool, they haven't imprinted on just me but all three of us.. Dh and Daughter made sure of that
love.gif

Your right tho, sad for the one that didn't make it but extremely thankful for the ones that did in my newbie bumbling attempt..
celebrate.gif

Here are two littles. These guys are about a week old. I did NOT hatch them, but, they were my eggs. African/Chinese. But look pure African?

Back
Top Bottom