Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

I had a female goose mount a duck and try to mate at about 4 months of age.
Boy them hormones can sure get the best of them.
roll.png

I guess I will find out their genders when the eggs start appearing. But those hormones are really taking over. I see them several times a day "mating" in the pools. And don't you dare try to separate Snow and Jasmine! Both get very upset. We discovered this yesterday when we had to carry the geese to the chicken coop because we started flooding. (storm in the gulf is sending intense rain bands towards us, we will be getting pounded until Friday if the meteorologists are right) The chicken coop is a couple feet off the ground whereas the goose coop is on the ground. Anyway, I picked up Jasmine and Snow got very upset and hollered at me until my husband picked him up. We ended up carring them side by side to calm them down. Bonded pair? They act like it,

Last edited:

Before I lost my beloved Skeeter to a fox (BTW, spring trap arrived today - a day early! WOOT!!!), he tried to mount my geese several times. When he lost all but one of his hens, he would follow the ducks and geese around like they were his flock. They didn't mind him being around until he started trying to mount them. They didn't tolerate him in their presence after that! LOL!

Any other cry babies here?

I wish I had known just how hard it really is emotionally when hatches don't turn out the way we want them to. Granted, I'd probably still do it, but, blah...

My little Goosie was internally pipped on Sunday, which was lockdown. Last night, it had cracked the external shell, and my hubby pulled some of the shell away. Tonight the membrane is finally broken, and I see beak, but, I also see blood. It is cheeping away pretty loudly, and I raised the humidity for them, as I still have hope that it's "nest" mate will hatch, tomorrow is hatch day.

I am so worried that the lil one inside isn't going to make it.

This is my 3rd hatch. My first one was chicks, failure. My second was chicks and two goslings (one gosling passed, so, the other went to a new home). 10 out of 23 chicks hatched, though 23 eggs made it to lockdown (too high heat, I assume, on a nearly dry hatch, 35-38% humidity 102° still air - my chicks were extremely huge.) Out of 10 eggs to hatch, 3 chicks died, one had to be assisted, and the 7 littles are fairly well. They have wings like grown ups, and are flying all over the barn, at two weeks old...? and still have yet to "trust" me.

Chickening and goosing, I reckon is NOT for the faint of heart. Hopefully, I will toughen up soon, cuz, I love incubating and hatching... (most parts any ways)!

Thanks for letting the crazy critter lady babble.

Good night!

I wish I had known just how hard it really is emotionally when hatches don't turn out the way we want them to. Granted, I'd probably still do it, but, blah...

My little Goosie was internally pipped on Sunday, which was lockdown. Last night, it had cracked the external shell, and my hubby pulled some of the shell away. Tonight the membrane is finally broken, and I see beak, but, I also see blood. It is cheeping away pretty loudly, and I raised the humidity for them, as I still have hope that it's "nest" mate will hatch, tomorrow is hatch day.

This is my 3rd hatch. My first one was chicks, failure. My second was chicks and two goslings (one gosling passed, so, the other went to a new home). 10 out of 23 chicks hatched, though 23 eggs made it to lockdown (too high heat, I assume, on a nearly dry hatch, 35-38% humidity 102° still air - my chicks were extremely huge.) Out of 10 eggs to hatch, 3 chicks died, one had to be assisted, and the 7 littles are fairly well. They have wings like grown ups, and are flying all over the barn, at two weeks old...? and still have yet to "trust" me.

Chickening and goosing, I reckon is NOT for the faint of heart. Hopefully, I will toughen up soon, cuz, I love incubating and hatching... (most parts any ways)!

Good night!
So, babbling crazy critter lady, how are things today? Doesn´t mean you´ll lose the first one, just keep that membrane damp and don´t interfere while there is blood in the vessels. You´re right, it´s not for the faint of heart, and hatching geese is more tricky than other poultry, but with experience you´ll know what to do and enjoy the rewards.
Let us know how things are going. Don´t forget to spread out a damp cloth for humidity.

Good night!

There's still a VERY good chance your gosling will make it. Unless the blood was squirting out all over the place like you hit a main vein or artery, then you're fine. They can bleed a little bit and still be okay. The fact that it's cheeping away loudly, is a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom