Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

Doubtful. No signs of life. Nothing by Friday, I shall give it a check. And then toss by Sunday.
sad.png

This seems to be a week of depressing news. So I'm going to turn it around - at least for a moment. It's off-topic, but I think this thread needs some good news for a bit.

I thought goose eggs were hard to hatch, but these things took three days to hatch from the first internal pip to the last one out of the egg!

Introducing: Dinner, Supper, and Lunch Meat! Well, not really their names, but that is their purpose here. If not to BE processed for food, they are here to reproduce for others to be processed for food. They are all three Royal Palm Turkeys, received from a seller here on BYC. I got six eggs, but one was scambled and didn't make it very far at all. Another I accidentally killed by helping it too early. At least I think - blood vessels were disappearing, so I tried to help it with an internal pip. But it didn't even last an hour after that. Maybe my intervention hurt it, or maybe it was already dying - thus the disappearing blood vessels (I didn't hit a single one with the hole I made in the membrane). And the third quit about 2 days before it was due.

Here they are in the lower right of the photo with an EE next to them, and a mixed bantam and another EE between them and the water bowl. The bantam hatched on a thermometer's plastic backing, so he didn't get good footing, and started to show signs of splayed leg within hours of hatching. So his legs are already taped together. He just needs to pull them UNDER himself now, instead of trying to stretch them up to his head!

So three successful turkeys that were all due on Monday, and just finished hatching today. If it's all males, two will be thanksgiving dinner. If it's two males and a female, one will be thanksgiving dinner. If it's two females and a male, they're all staying and being used to lay NEXT year's thanksgiving dinner.

This seems to be a week of depressing news. So I'm going to turn it around - at least for a moment. It's off-topic, but I think this thread needs some good news for a bit.

I thought goose eggs were hard to hatch, but these things took three days to hatch from the first internal pip to the last one out of the egg!

Introducing: Dinner, Supper, and Lunch Meat! Well, not really their names, but that is their purpose here. If not to BE processed for food, they are here to reproduce for others to be processed for food. They are all three Royal Palm Turkeys, received from a seller here on BYC. I got six eggs, but one was scambled and didn't make it very far at all. Another I accidentally killed by helping it too early. At least I think - blood vessels were disappearing, so I tried to help it with an internal pip. But it didn't even last an hour after that. Maybe my intervention hurt it, or maybe it was already dying - thus the disappearing blood vessels (I didn't hit a single one with the hole I made in the membrane). And the third quit about 2 days before it was due.

Here they are in the lower right of the photo with an EE next to them, and a mixed bantam and another EE between them and the water bowl. The bantam hatched on a thermometer's plastic backing, so he didn't get good footing, and started to show signs of splayed leg within hours of hatching. So his legs are already taped together. He just needs to pull them UNDER himself now, instead of trying to stretch them up to his head!

So three successful turkeys that were all due on Monday, and just finished hatching today. If it's all males, two will be thanksgiving dinner. If it's two males and a female, one will be thanksgiving dinner. If it's two females and a male, they're all staying and being used to lay NEXT year's thanksgiving dinner.
They´re so sweet. I love baby turkeys. I don´t like the adults. Have fun with them!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom