Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

Well our little gosling didn't make it out of the shell. I kept going back and forth on if I should make a safe hole late yesterday, I didn't and this morning I could tell just by touching the egg it was dead. not near as warm as yesterday. I feel so badly thinking if only. I made the safe hole and started peeling the egg, it looks perfect.
hit.gif

Well our little gosling didn't make it out of the shell. I kept going back and forth on if I should make a safe hole late yesterday, I didn't and this morning I could tell just by touching the egg it was dead. not near as warm as yesterday. I feel so badly thinking if only. I made the safe hole and started peeling the egg, it looks perfect.
hit.gif
Hi Miss Lydia - so sorry for your loss. (Hind sight is 20/20) so the saying goes but we never really know what is going to happen. You did your best with what you knew at the time.

hit.gif
Oh, I´m so sad for you. But it hadn´t been internally pipped for long, had it? It should have been ok for well over 24 hours once internally pipped. Maybe it was a weakling anyway. Very disappointing for you. It should have hatched, MLyd, if it´d been a healthy gosling. Did it not even make a pip in the shell? I don´t think you could have done much to save it. Look how many goslings even ex pip and don´t make it. It went the way of the others, just lived a little longer.
sad.png
Next year, put a few under those muscovies?
hugs.gif

Last edited:
hit.gif

So sorry the baby didn't make it.
hugs.gif

well my first broody goose didn't hatch any eggs this year she got lazy the last few days and kept getting off and it was almost time for her to sit for lockdown if geese do that.

but my second female goose she started to lay again in late april and i collected 7 eggs after a sold i tried in the incubator but that didn't work. so i gave her 7 and she went broody right away. that was the end of april i think and i just took one of the eggs today when she was out and candled them and the air cell was huge i think any day now and i went in their tonight and was giving her some food and put one egg to my ear and even though the male was hissing at me and biting my hand and the others were talking i think i heard something tapping so i put it back and closed her door as i keep her in a dog kennel with a latch bar door. she loves it and works perfectly keeping others from bothering her at night. as they all sleep together in the same shack i do have boards that i line around keeping my aggressive canada goose away. my canada goose was fine until i brought home some ducklings from the feed mill. He adopted them instantly from when he first heard them peeping in the box. After that he is very aggressive to pretty much everything my other geese the ducks. i have tried separating him from the ducklings now that they are big enough but he still doesn't give up. i just want him to go back to normal if he does anyway. any tips or suggestions

and fingers crossed my female hatches her eggs she broke one so far last week she has left
I have ganders that won´t be separated yet from their 9-month-old + 'goslings', so I imagine yours will want to protect his 'babies' for a while yet!
I hope the next ones are successful.

Well I have a broody duck, Daisy, the largest of the crested females. Yesterday she hissed at me when I found a nest she built, then ran off. I was surprised but didn't think too much off it because my daughter graduated high school yesterday. Was kinda busy and am so proud, she graduated top 10% of her class! Yay! Anyway, this morning I found Daisy back in the nest, only this time she won't leave and is really really angry. She is a Pekin crested and I thought they didn't go broody? Anyway I think maybe getting the Cayuga ducklings for Ebony may have triggered this. I am asking advice on the duck thread how to handle this. I don't have a mature drake and wouldn't allow the cresteds to hatch their own eggs due to the skull deformity issues. I am in no position to get her eggs or babies, the storms hit us hard and I need to repair and modify coops and our house first. But I don't want to be meanto Daisy either. I was thinking of maybe putting her with the ducklings? They imprinted on Ebony, same as the 2 goslings she was with before the ducklings arrive, which makes this very interesting as the goslings don't want to share "their" mommy. Ebony herself does not seem interested in mothering either the goslings or ducklings. This morning I let the ducklings out with Ebony, Daisy and Ivory came to meet them and they were scared of the big ducks. But no signs of aggression from either Ivory or Daisy, which is great. The 2 goslings however came and started attacking the ducklings, trying to get them away from Ebony, who they were following around. I penned the ducklings in a playpen for some grass, bath time, and sunshine. Any tips for how to handle this situation? I had hoped that taking the duck eggs everyday would prevent broodiness till next year. I have no problem loading a nest with goose, Cayuga, or chicken eggs for Daisy if she wants to brood, but have none to offer her and can't get any more eggs or babies.

And will the 2 goslings, Gertrude and Jezzabelle, who imprinted on Ebony the duck, realize they are geese? They do hang out with Peaches, 1 of the older African geese, , Peaches protects them from the chickens but not the older geese. But they really do think Ebony, is their mother. I'd like Gertrude and Jezzabelle to realize they are geese not ducks and joint the goose flock.

Last edited:
hit.gif
Miss Lydia I am so sorry your little one did not make it into the world!!!! But you did what you could do. Hatching geese is way harder than many people think. They just do not lay the eggs and sit on them and they hatch. There is so much more to it then anyone could know....
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Well I have a broody duck, Daisy, the largest of the crested females. Yesterday she hissed at me when I found a nest she built, then ran off. I was surprised but didn't think too much off it because my daughter graduated high school yesterday. Was kinda busy and am so proud, she graduated top 10% of her class! Yay! Anyway, this morning I found Daisy back in the nest, only this time she won't leave and is really really angry. She is a Pekin crested and I thought they didn't go broody? Anyway I think maybe getting the Cayuga ducklings for Ebony may have triggered this. I am asking advice on the duck thread how to handle this. I don't have a mature drake and wouldn't allow the cresteds to hatch their own eggs due to the skull deformity issues. I am in no position to get her eggs or babies, the storms hit us hard and I need to repair and modify coops and our house first. But I don't want to be meanto Daisy either. I was thinking of maybe putting her with the ducklings? They imprinted on Ebony, same as the 2 goslings she was with before the ducklings arrive, which makes this very interesting as the goslings don't want to share "their" mommy. Ebony herself does not seem interested in mothering either the goslings or ducklings. This morning I let the ducklings out with Ebony, Daisy and Ivory came to meet them and they were scared of the big ducks. But no signs of aggression from either Ivory or Daisy, which is great. The 2 goslings however came and started attacking the ducklings, trying to get them away from Ebony, who they were following around. I penned the ducklings in a playpen for some grass, bath time, and sunshine. Any tips for how to handle this situation? I had hoped that taking the duck eggs everyday would prevent broodiness till next year. I have no problem loading a nest with goose, Cayuga, or chicken eggs for Daisy if she wants to brood, but have none to offer her and can't get any more eggs or babies.

And will the 2 goslings, Gertrude and Jezzabelle, who imprinted on Ebony the duck, realize they are geese? They do hang out with Peaches, 1 of the older African geese, , Peaches protects them from the chickens but not the older geese. But they really do think Ebony, is their mother. I'd like Gertrude and Jezzabelle to realize they are geese not ducks and joint the goose flock.
Well, as regards the broody duck...there are always exceptions! She´ll give up in time. Or, you could give her the ducklings and see what happens.
Don´t worry about the goslings that think they´re ducks..they´ll work it out in time.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom