Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

That's 2 of them
The one on the left has heavier cheeks like a gander does. It also is thicker looking than the other one. Are they the same age?
Gander are always larger than female and have more cheek that females. Although some females can fool you and be larger and look more like a gander.

Last edited:

Red

Honestly I don't know how much help I can be, ganders hold themselves more erect, are usually bolder than the females, Starfire maybe able to help you more so since she has young geese around the same age, My 2 new ones are only 4 days old and my gander is 7yrs so been quite a while since I've has a young gander in my midst. 

The ganders carry themselves with their head and chest high, females are more parallel to the ground. Gander has a slightly higher pitched voice than the females, but yours may be too young yet to use their voice as a way of sexing. The males are way more outgoing, and talkative, than females, who hang back and seem shy. The gander will start putting his body between anything they think is a threat and their female. Ganders will also start showing what I call their attack mode, neck stretched out close to the ground with their bill pointed up ready to bite. During attack mode they will hiss, my females have hissed as well, but have never gone into attack mode. I dont think the females will attack until they have a nest or babies to protect. I also noticed that my ganders knobs started developing before the females did, and even though both male and female now have knob growth, the ganders is still much larger. The knob growth was my first solid clue to the sex of my geese and it started developing around 12 weeks of age.

Hope that helps.

Maybe that's telling you something if they kinda a pairing off, Very hard for me to tell at that age. All I know is gander keep their heads higher when walking and standing the goose just walks and stands normal, now whether you'll see that kind of behavior in geese that age ids questionable.
My males hang out together, want to be with the dad. they´re 8 months old now, still want to be with the guys.

That's 2 of them
See the neck of the one on the right? Well, females will do this, but males are more noticeable, and he looks heavier.

That's the other 2 of them
Here, the onbe on the left looks more masculine, see the neck? The one on the right really looks girlie. Also, females often sit a little lower on the leg, ganders stand a bit higher, things like that. Ganders will tend to be the ones that come to you first, stand in between you and the girls. I´d guess you have two pairs there, but it´s only a guess, they´re young yet. Very pretty, though.
big_smile.png

It could be a trick of the light, but does this one have a wrinkle on the top of its bill? If so that could indicate knob growth.

I would give them another month to study their behavior and watch their knobs. My younger geese are displaying the same knob growth patterns that my older geese did, with my suspected gander growing his knob first and larger than my suspected females.

Back
Top Bottom