Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

I think 2 have knobs starting to grow looking at the pic better n zooming in the other 2 don't

It's much easier to see in person. If they are starting to grow, I'd bet they were males. Wait about a month to be sure, watching their behavior, knobs and comparing their bodies (neck thickness, overall size, etc). Then pick the pair you wanted to keep. Also keep in mind that this isn't full proof. Which I why I suggest watching and waiting to verify sex through other means as well.

Looks like you have two pair. I see knob growth for all of them but if crossed with anything other than a knobbed breed the knob will only grow on the males and very slowly compared to a purebred. The females will stay looking like a young immature knobbed goose

I am glad you fond this thread as I am new to African and Chinese geese. Mine are only 17 weeks, so I have lots to learn. Am I right though, the males show more knob growth at an early age than the female? I know in mature Chinese and African the knob is bigger on ganders.

I am glad you fond this thread as I am new to African and Chinese geese. Mine are only 17 weeks, so I have lots to learn. Am I right though, the males show more knob growth at an early age than the female? I know in mature Chinese and African the knob is bigger on ganders.

Males develope their knobs faster. Thats why i think there is two of each.

Males develope their knobs faster. Thats why i think there is two of each.

I thought so after watching all my geese grow. The males knob just seemed to be larger and faster growing, and I therefore noticed it on them earlier than the females. I'm glad I was correct about that, makes things a little easier sexing my future goslings.

I know I have 2 Chinese ganders, and both have serious attitudes to boot! Still undecided what gender Cream is, which is driving me crazy. Cream is aggressive and outgoing like a gander, but (when Cream isnt threatening someone) walks like a female, has a low voice, has no knob development, and is very interested in the smallest 2 goslings. I don't know what to make of Cream, and the strange mix of signals he/she is giving. Jasmine, Peaches, Jezzebelle, Gertrude, and Maybel are obviously females. Snow and Noel are very clearly ganders. But Cream? Is it possible to have a shemale? Lol.

Last edited:
I thought so after watching all my geese grow. The males knob just seemed to be larger and faster growing, and I therefore noticed it on them earlier than the females. I'm glad I was correct about that, makes things a little easier sexing my future goslings.

I know I have 2 Chinese ganders, and both have serious attitudes to boot! Still undecided what gender Cream is, which is driving me crazy. Cream is aggressive and outgoing like a gander, but (when Cream isnt threatening someone) walks like a female, has a low voice, has no knob development, and is very interested in the smallest 2 goslings. I don't know what to make of Cream, and the strange mix of signals he/she is giving. Jasmine, Peaches, Jezzebelle, Gertrude, and Maybel are obviously females. Snow and Noel are very clearly ganders. But Cream? Is it possible to have a shemale? Lol.

Shemales are possible

I have a goose that has a real attitude, I thought she was a gander right up until she started to accept a gander mating with her, made a nest and sat on her eggs. She´s bigger, taller. She´s the boss of her clan, even over the gander! She´s always in the front, first into everything. But a goose.
lol.png

Last edited:
I have a goose that has a real attitude, I thought she was a gander right up until she started to accept a gander mating with her, made a nest and sat on her eggs.  She´s bigger, taller.  She´s the boss of her clan, even over the gander!  She´s always in the front, first into everything.  But a goose.  :lol:  

She wears the pants in the family lol a real modern woman in charge lol

Back
Top Bottom