Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

Looks like show and tell of the dogs so guess I will join in. Here is our big baby. This is Kindra our harlequin mainly white blue eyed Great Dane.

Last edited:
Toots and Babe have spent 2 nights with S&M and all is going so well. They are growing like weeds and M&S are in parental protection mode now.
thumbsup.gif
SMASHIN'!

I can't afford a racing cart, and with our bad stray problem it wouldn't be safe for my dogs to be harnessed together. If we were attacked they wouldn't be able to defend themselves. I wanted to teach them to run on lunge lines next to a bike, but same problem, no where is free from strays.
I took better pics of my girl Cheyenne. Cheyenne is a horrible example of a puppy mill Siberian, her nose is too long, ears to large, legs too long, tail does not curve over her back right, and most telling, she is brown (Siberians come in shades of red, black, white, or agouti which is wild coloring like a wolf. But agouti has 3 distinct bands of color on a single strand of hair, she does not have this). I simply couldn't leave her there, I did not think she would survive much longer. The breeder had 16 dogs and 4 pups from 2 different mother dogs. 1 of the other pups was nearly as sick as poor Cheyenne, but I could only afford to buy 1 of them. Plus I called animal control and they would need a sick dog to prove he was unfit to care for them. They did not want any pictures, vet bills, or a copy of her AKC paperwork from me to build a case against him though. Cheyenne still has issues, no one other than my husband, kids, and myself can get near her. She pee herself in fright if anyone handles her but us or if strange dogs get too close to her. It took months before she even trusted us. She was 11 weeks old when I brought her and had never known human touch, she screamed something awful when I picked her up to bring home. She had also never know grass or dirt as she had lived her whole life on a soaking wet concrete pen before I got her. This is our baby girl Cheyenne, who is now 8 months old.
Poor little babe. She looks ok now though, as long as everything is normal for her.
Shame about not being able to use carts etc with your huskies. In England, the area that I lived at least, it´s rare to see stray dogs. Very rare. So there it´s safe to go out with your dogs. Here, on the other hand, you do have to be careful.
Here people love the big hairy breeds, like Huskies, Chows, Newfoundlands, St. Bernards, etc, and the poor things suffer so much in the heat.

[COLOR=FF3366]Looks like show and tell of the dogs so guess I will join in. Here is our big baby. This is Kindra our harlequin mainly white blue eyed Great Dane.[/COLOR]
I love Danes but they wouldn't fit in with my lifestyle! Maybe later when I'm past the sheep herding phase....

They are both Australian Kelpies. Tilly is a little overweight in that pic (only by a couple of kilos though) she is red and tan. Ita is black and tan. Most kelpies have some border collie in them somewhere.

Oh, I should say both cattle dogs and kelpies are known to have dingo in their heritage which might be why Tilly looks a bit that way. (Genetic testing on kelpies has shown dingo in some lines)

So are cattle dogs called Heelers there?  Is a kelpie a lighter breed than the cattle dog?  The Heelers here are quite stocky.

Starfire, where I lived in England, one of my neighbours had 5 huskies and would take them through the nearby forest for hours at a time, with them pulling him on a special racing cart.  What a noise!

Healers, Blue Healers, Red Healers, ACD, Stumpy tails - all fairly common names for cattle dogs - some even call them cattle dogs!:lol:

Kelpies are used for gathering and bringing stock while healers are used for driving - at least that is what their instinct is. You can teach kelpies to drive and healers to bring but that is not their first instinct. Kelpies do tend to be slightly finer then healers but not always. Tilly is very solid for a "modern" Kelpie but not for an older style kelpie. The general trend at the moment is to breed working dogs smaller so that they can ride on a bike easier (4 wheeler) - there are other reasons but this is what I've been quoted time and again.

Last edited:
Once you turn the goslings over to the adults the goslings run like crazy from you. Everything you shared with them as goslings kind of leaves and they become adults.

Once you turn the goslings over to the adults the goslings run like crazy from you. Everything you shared with them as goslings kind of leaves and they become adults.
So far they still come right up to us and tell us about what's happening lol and want to be close to me when I go outside, Missy looks confused by it. lol Tonight they went into S&M house all by themselves it made me feel so good to see how they are feeling at home with them.
love.gif

This is the part I am not fond of when I turn them over to the flock the goslings seem to forget everything I did with them and the love they had for me! Now they run from me the 3 older ones and the 2, I just put out this weekend have already bonded to the adults and run like crazy from me.
All that time and love spent with them..... I miss them but they do not miss me.

Back
Top Bottom