Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

Well I left 2 eggs with one of my imprinted geese for her to hatch. One hatched beautifully, and is now 2 days old. the other was internally pipped. So, I went to check today, and it must have externally pipped, but she´d been sitting too tight and had crushed the egg. Amazingly, the baby was still alive inside. so, it´s now up here with me under the lamp...that good old lamp! All one side of the egg is crushed, and also the a bit on the other side, it still hasn´t absorbed its yoke, and there´re still some blood vessels in the membrane... hoping it stays put for a while, but there´s hardly any intact shell to hold it there. I´ll have to think about this one!
roll.png
lol.png

Do you have another egg that you can crack and sit it in - or something a similar shape?

Do you have another egg that you can crack and sit it in - or something a similar shape?
That´s a good idea, I´ll have to have a look around. I wrapped it in clingfilm just to hold it together (apart from where it had opened the membrane, of course). This one´s not kicking too much yet, and it´s all together. Seems the yoke sac´s pretty well absorbed, but a main vein running through the membrane to the umbilical is still pretty active, so I must make sure baby´s not able to push out yet. Good idea, tillyita.
thumbsup.gif

Well I left 2 eggs with one of my imprinted geese for her to hatch. One hatched beautifully, and is now 2 days old. the other was internally pipped. So, I went to check today, and it must have externally pipped, but she´d been sitting too tight and had crushed the egg. Amazingly, the baby was still alive inside. so, it´s now up here with me under the lamp...that good old lamp! All one side of the egg is crushed, and also the a bit on the other side, it still hasn´t absorbed its yoke, and there´re still some blood vessels in the membrane... hoping it stays put for a while, but there´s hardly any intact shell to hold it there. I´ll have to think about this one!
roll.png
lol.png
I can help you with this one! This is what happened with my one egg that didnt hatch right. I asked @Miss Lydia and she got me in contact with someone that knows all about this. @Lacrystol is her profile and she is filled with advice. She said you have to act quick and put the baby into a dixie type cup with the shell and all because it will help" push the yolk into place" and keeps it in place so it doesnt lose the shell too soon. I cant remember the exact details so please message her. She is super nice and knows exactly what to do! Good luck.

I can help you with this one! This is what happened with my one egg that didnt hatch right. I asked @Miss Lydia and she got me in contact with someone that knows all about this. @Lacrystol is her profile and she is filled with advice. She said you have to act quick and put the baby into a dixie type cup with the shell and all because it will help" push the yolk into place" and keeps it in place so it doesnt lose the shell too soon. I cant remember the exact details so please message her. She is super nice and knows exactly what to do! Good luck.
Thanks, @andreacroyle . and @tillyita this is what I´ve done... and it seems to be working well. Thanks for the help, guys. :) I´ll have a read-up of Lacrystol´s info, too.

First pic is how I found it in the nest. Other side also bashed a bit.
2nd pic is after I opened the membrane where it was already brown to see what was going on inside. the egg fits a treat in this little icecream pot. Baby can now do its little excercises til its heart´s content, all safe. :) Please ignore the little flies. They come with the warm weather and the rain....
This goose´s first little baby this year is doing great with her. I´ll take some pics later.
smile.png

You guys are amazing. I would have seen that egg and thought "oh well, so much for that" but you ... no, you think lets see if we can save the little one. And you probably will and will end up with an amazing little baby bird. Mine are just starting to mate in that pre-season sort of way. I am hoping that someone will nest and hatch next year but at only a year old they may not. However, if they do, and if there are any problems, I get some peace of mind knowing that the BYC community will be there to walk me through what I need to do to be a good grandparent to whatever hatches. One thing I need to do is get one of those miracle lamps you have just in case ...

Thanks, @andreacroyle . and @tillyita this is what I´ve done... and it seems to be working well. Thanks for the help, guys. :) I´ll have a read-up of Lacrystol´s info, too.

First pic is how I found it in the nest. Other side also bashed a bit.
2nd pic is after I opened the membrane where it was already brown to see what was going on inside. the egg fits a treat in this little icecream pot. Baby can now do its little excercises til its heart´s content, all safe. :) Please ignore the little flies. They come with the warm weather and the rain....
This goose´s first little baby this year is doing great with her. I´ll take some pics later.
smile.png
OUCH OK hang on let me read up

Peal the hard shell off BUT don't touch that membrane, Then Wet the membrane, let me see what you have. get all the little broken shells off, the reason why is because as he moves, pieces could fall into where he's at and cut a vein we don't want that, so get as many little pieces off, use tweezers.

He looks very dry so After you get the pieces off and wet him let me see what he looks like. A goose HUH? Well this will be a first for me, hopefully it's just as easy as a duck. LOL...

LOL, Ok I have educated you to much or not enough, NOT SURE. HAHAHA.. THANK YOU we got this one

Back
Top Bottom