Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

You guys are amazing. I would have seen that egg and thought "oh well, so much for that" but you ... no, you think lets see if we can save the little one. And you probably will and will end up with an amazing little baby bird. Mine are just starting to mate in that pre-season sort of way. I am hoping that someone will nest and hatch next year but at only a year old they may not. However, if they do, and if there are any problems, I get some peace of mind knowing that the BYC community will be there to walk me through what I need to do to be a good grandparent to whatever hatches. One thing I need to do is get one of those miracle lamps you have just in case ...
Haha, you so funny! I have a desklamp with an old-style non-environmentally-friendly 60w bulb. Can´t get infrared here, so that lamp has to do. And an icecream pot sat on newspapers to keep the heat in below, and clingfilm covering most of the top so as not to lose so much humidity, and a thermometer to check temperature. And it does fine, but I have to get up during the night to check it all. Last night I got up at 12.30, 2.30, and 4.30 to dampen the membrane and check the temperature.
I´ve seen some threads where someone´s stayed up until really late trying to help another through a problem hatch.
big_smile.png

The year-olds will most certainly try to nest, but some eggs will be infertile, some smallish, but you never know..... Two of my year-olds that I left to get on with being broody on few eggs are doing a good job, even though the one gosling that has hatched so far is a little small, but it´s still going...dear little thing. Mum´s doing great, and has adopted 4 others, as I already said on a different post. I´m impressed with her. She´s a Pilgrim.
The slightly unreliable ones are imprinted cross-breds, I have no idea of what. The hatching bit is touch-and-go with them, but they´re good mums once the babies are on their feet.

Peal the hard shell off BUT don't touch that membrane, Then Wet the membrane, let me see what you have. get all the little broken shells off, the reason why is because as he moves, pieces could fall into where he's at and cut a vein we don't want that, so get as many little pieces off, use tweezers.
I´ve had two before like this, one goose had already crushed the baby, but a different goose had gotten carried away, crushed the egg, etc, but I found it early enough, and it survived. I still have him here.
Good point about the bits of broken shell, but I left the bits of shell on to try to keep the membrane from drying too much. I´ll have a look again. There´s a huge amount of poop in the shell, but the yoke sac´s still attached, so....just hope all is well.
I have a pot of water in there, damp cloth, etc, but the membrane still gets dry quickly due to the lamp. It looks dryer than it is, being so old and grotty now. The membrane still in the shell has at least one large blood vessel going to the attached yolk sac, so I just keep wetting the membrane and keeping an eye on it for temperature. Will show pic later.
smile.png

Your membrane is going to dry up we just don't want it to dry up to fast, you see we have to keep those VEINS wet if they dry up boom process will be over.

HOWEVER, you can't wet him to much, reason because then you are causing more work for him and usually they give up. You see they would have to absorb the wetness then the veins.

I would take another look at that yolk. If you see poop and the poop should look like a Nice Grose Snot ball, My guess is perhaps your not looking at yolk and that you are looking at his swelled up vent? Could that be a possibility. Sometimes the Swelled up vent gets mistaken for Yolk a lot and it should because it's VERY similar.. VEINS AND ALL.. LOL

Please Don't put anything INSIDE that shell to wet him. That's a no no, you could accidently break the vein while trying to wet inside so just work on the membrane itself.

But I would most definitely as CAREFUL as you can try and get those little pieces off of him..

Just a quick fly by to say sure hope the lil one makes it livin. it's in good hands.
fl.gif

Your membrane is going to dry up we just don't want it to dry up to fast, you see we have to keep those VEINS wet if they dry up boom process will be over.

HOWEVER, you can't wet him to much, reason because then you are causing more work for him and usually they give up. You see they would have to absorb the wetness then the veins.

I would take another look at that yolk. If you see poop and the poop should look like a Nice Grose Snot ball, My guess is perhaps your not looking at yolk and that you are looking at his swelled up vent? Could that be a possibility. Sometimes the Swelled up vent gets mistaken for Yolk a lot and it should because it's VERY similar.. VEINS AND ALL.. LOL

Please Don't put anything INSIDE that shell to wet him. That's a no no, you could accidently break the vein while trying to wet inside so just work on the membrane itself.

But I would most definitely as CAREFUL as you can try and get those little pieces off of him..
Thanks Lacrystol. I´ve hatched a number of them out indoors, but only one before with a smashed shell. I did wonder about the vent, and now I can see that it´s not a yellow colour. so, if this is a swollen abdomen, what do I do with this? I imagine I can let it push if it wishes.
Don´t worry, I know all about being careful with the membrane. I took a lot of pieces of shell off it, and keep just damping the exposed membrane, that´s all. Now, if that´s its belly area, can I let it it push out? The vein has now been absorbed that I could see before. The rest of the membrane just has the reddish wettish stuff inside, not blood from any veins as such. I know what their poop looks like, and this is poop.

Thanks Lacrystol. I´ve hatched a number of them out indoors, but only one before with a smashed shell. I did wonder about the vent, and now I can see that it´s not a yellow colour. so, if this is a swollen abdomen, what do I do with this? I imagine I can let it push if it wishes.
Don´t worry, I know all about being careful with the membrane. I took a lot of pieces of shell off it, and keep just damping the exposed membrane, that´s all. Now, if that´s its belly area, can I let it it push out? The vein has now been absorbed that I could see before. The rest of the membrane just has the reddish wettish stuff inside, not blood from any veins as such. I know what their poop looks like, and this is poop.

OK GOOD, GOOD NEWS WOOO HOOO, OK get him out of that cup, I need you to lay him down on the bottom of the bator, it's going to take a few hours but I need you to stop wetting him, What we need him to do is to shrink up. THIS IS THE ONLY TIME WE WANT HIM TO SHRINK WRAP.. sort of speaking.

Let him go a head and push his way out USING his feet so make sure his feet are on the bottom of the bator, He'll push with his feet and kick that shell off. WOOO HOOO, Now every two hours take a qtip you will need to wet ONLY the outer rim of the membrane because as he dries up a tab, the membrane will stick to his body and we do NOT want that to stick because then he will not be able to push himself out. As his Vent shrinks, the veins will fade, The FASTER HE shrinks the SAFER he will be as far as getting a bacteria infection. So we need him to SHRINK quickly...

So it will be Vent SHRINKS and while that's Shrinking those veins will clear up and shrivel, This is exactly what we need him to do right now.

OK GOOD, GOOD NEWS WOOO HOOO, OK get him out of that cup, I need you to lay him down on the bottom of the bator, it's going to take a few hours but I need you to stop wetting him, What we need him to do is to shrink up. THIS IS THE ONLY TIME WE WANT HIM TO SHRINK WRAP.. sort of speaking.

Let him go a head and push his way out USING his feet so make sure his feet are on the bottom of the bator, He'll push with his feet and kick that shell off. WOOO HOOO, Now every two hours take a qtip you will need to wet ONLY the outer rim of the membrane because as he dries up a tab, the membrane will stick to his body and we do NOT want that to stick because then he will not be able to push himself out. As his Vent shrinks, the veins will fade, The FASTER HE shrinks the SAFER he will be as far as getting a bacteria infection. So we need him to SHRINK quickly...

So it will be Vent SHRINKS and while that's Shrinking those veins will clear up and shrivel, This is exactly what we need him to do right now.
Already ahead of you...half an hour ago....won´t be long, methinks. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom