Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

Awww. how sad. know that you did everything and beyond to help the little guy. You have had so many great hatches, this one just wasnt ready to hatch like my little guy that didnt make it.

@Miss Lydia , I forgot all about a lobe on Forest! i wonder how she will sit in her hammock with a lobe. what does it feel like? is it cartilage, bone or tissue that forms a lobe? I ask because i definitely feel her sternum when i pick her up, but nothing else.
I believe it's just soft tissue andrea.

My heart is broken and I have tears in my eyes but I know he had the best care available and, you are right, in the natural course of events, he would not have survived anyway. I have lost 2 day old chicks, one adult rooster and an adult hen plus 3 young ducks (thank God none of my geese) and even though we only have them for a short time they have a way of drawing us in and making the loss even more. But, to just go to sleep and have it over is the best way.

You still are a miracle worker in my book. To have seen that there was even a glimmer of hope that he may survive and to make the effort to help him is so much more than many would have done.
You´re very sweet, jtn. We have to try, don´t we? And sometimes it just pays off! But even if it doesn´t work, we still have to try.
smile.png

Awww. how sad. know that you did everything and beyond to help the little guy. You have had so many great hatches, this one just wasnt ready to hatch like my little guy that didnt make it.

@Miss Lydia , I forgot all about a lobe on Forest! i wonder how she will sit in her hammock with a lobe. what does it feel like? is it cartilage, bone or tissue that forms a lobe? I ask because i definitely feel her sternum when i pick her up, but nothing else.
Thanks, Andrea. and a lobe is just like a spare tyre when we have too much weight.
wink.png
. No big deal. It comes and goes, too, depending on how well they´re eating, or when they´re sitting on eggs, hardly eating, it starts to disappear again.

They´re gorgeous MLyd! Aren´t they chunky! Makes Missy look so small!
Babe´s lovely, of course, but Toots is gorgeous!
Vent was good soon after.. I sprayed it with some stuff here that´s like Blue cote, but better, works so well, no infection there. I´m sure there was a problem with the lungs. He just went to sleep, didn´t wake again. Just one of those that we try to help, but in the natural way of things would not have survived anyway.
Thanks for all your interest and help., though, everyone. who knows, another time all this info may work out well for someone.......
smile.png
infection could have gone internally, and I don't know of anything as good as blue kote?? He was crushed and in the shell for quite some time, so I would say internally infection is more likely...
Could be crushed lungs, but I would think if that was the case, he wouldn't have make it out at all. Could have been crushed internal organs but as long as he poop I doubt it. pooping is a good sign that system is working...

Poor little guy sorry for your lost..

infection could have gone internally, and I don't know of anything as good as blue kote?? He was crushed and in the shell for quite some time, so I would say internally infection is more likely...
Could be crushed lungs, but I would think if that was the case, he wouldn't have make it out at all. Could have been crushed internal organs but as long as he poop I doubt it. pooping is a good sign that system is working...

Poor little guy sorry for your lost..
Well, thanks for your help anyway. Much appreciated. At least we had a good try.
smile.png
I still think it had to do with that clicking sound, but the next time I get a gosling hatch out, not long to go, I´ll have a listen and see when it stops making that noise.
smile.png

Thanks, Andrea. and a lobe is just like a spare tire when we have too much weight.
wink.png
. No big deal. It comes and goes, too, depending on how well they´re eating, or when they´re sitting on eggs, hardly eating, it starts to disappear again.

Talking about lobes and spare tires. when Missy and Sam finished with breeding season and she began to brood neither her or Sam had lobes, it wasn't until she began taking care of the new gozzies when they were 3 weeks old that she began to get her lobes back, Sam never did until just recently he is starting to get lobes again. Missy's just about drag on the ground.
lol.png
Hopefully they will begin to put on some extra weight for the cold months ahead. They will need it if we have a winter like the last one.

Wheres serv I was hoping he'd take a look at my 2 again and see if his prediction is still the same.

Last edited:
LB, very sorry your gosling didn't make it. Personally, I did not have much hope for the little one based on what you described. From what I have gleaned, the clicking is the preliminary respiratory system starting to engage after internally pipping. The clicking disappears during external pipping stage, when the process of engaging all independent life support systems has been completed, and then they complete hatching.

P, they are a lovely group and remind me so of my group, complete with a juvenile grey boy and a female buff pair.

LB, very sorry your gosling didn't make it. Personally, I did not have much hope for the little one based on what you described. From what I have gleaned, the clicking is the preliminary respiratory system starting to engage after internally pipping. The clicking disappears during external pipping stage, when the process of engaging all independent life support systems has been completed, and then they complete hatching.

P, they are a lovely group and remind me so of my group, complete with a juvenile grey boy and a female buff pair.
Yes, I kept thinking that the problem was linked to the clicking, thanks for explaining it better. I only ever read about it in Pete´s thread, but just a passing comment. So going by that, sounds like the little thing didn´t get much beyond the preliminary respiratory stage, then.
I find it amazing that so many actually make it! A truly tremendous process, all in 30 days more or less. Quite amazing.

I believe it's just soft tissue andrea.
okay, MISS Lydia and Livin, that explains why my two dont have them.They are still very very light. Its a shock to pick them up after holding one of the scovies.

You´re very sweet, jtn. We have to try, don´t we? And sometimes it just pays off! But even if it doesn´t work, we still have to try.
smile.png

Thanks, Andrea. and a lobe is just like a spare tyre when we have too much weight.
wink.png

infection could have gone internally
Thanks for taking the time to help! I think we all learned something by all of your advice =)

The clicking disappears during external pipping stage, when the process of engaging all independent life support systems has been completed, and then they complete hatching.
A truly tremendous process, all in 30 days more or less. Quite amazing.
yes. very amazing! especially with such a long life span.

So, @Miss Lydia , Utah still reckons you have a pair there too. :) Mmmm... pretty babies to come!
wink.png

livin last serv chimed in he was uncertain about the Toulouse but either way I love them. As far as babies well unless I hit the jack pot and can fence in more property I don't see that happening.

Back
Top Bottom