Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

Here´s Elsa in a little 'pool' (actually a cooking tin), with mom and aunt and cousin. Mum´s the pied, nearest the camera. Dad´s outside the fence looking in. I keep the ganders out as they eat all the babies´ feed. During the afternoon I let aunt and cousin go off with dad for a walk-about, and the pied stayed in there with her little Elsa.

Here are some of the youngsters and their moms enjoying some fresh grass near the house. I bought an old kiddies´ paddling pool and put it over a hole in the ground. It´s easy to empty, too. The two larger ones nearest are the two 4-wk-old imprinted ones with a little adopted sis in the middle, but they´re getting on great with the flock, and the other louts are the auto-sexing ones as can be seen...they´re around 6 weeks old.

Last edited:
I am from Australia they are now 1 month old here is a photo of them

Also not sure what type we got them given to us because the owner didn't want them
They´re lovely, I´m sure you´ll really enjoy them. I wonder if they´ll be all white when they grow, like Embdens?
I thought you must be in the Southern Hemisphere. Yet another keeping everyone supplied with gozzie pics!
There´s another person on these threads from Australia that has Pilgrims.
Keep us up-to-date with their development, won´t you?

Here´s Elsa in a little 'pool' (actually a cooking tin), with mom and aunt and cousin. Mum´s the pied, nearest the camera. Dad´s outside the fence looking in. I keep the ganders out as they eat all the babies´ feed. During the afternoon I let aunt and cousin go off with dad for a walk-about, and the pied stayed in there with her little Elsa.

Here are some of the youngsters and their moms enjoying some fresh grass near the house. I bought an old kiddies´ paddling pool and put it over a hole in the ground. It´s easy to empty, too. The two larger ones nearest are the two 4-wk-old imprinted ones with a little adopted sis in the middle, but they´re getting on great with the flock, and the other louts are the auto-sexing ones as can be seen...they´re around 6 weeks old.
What sweet pics livin, lil Elsa looks good from what i can see of her surrounded by her body guards. and the others don't they grow so fast. so pretty

They´re lovely, I´m sure you´ll really enjoy them. I wonder if they´ll be all white when they grow, like Embdens?
I thought you must be in the Southern Hemisphere. Yet another keeping everyone supplied with gozzie pics!
There´s another person on these threads from Australia that has Pilgrims.
Keep us up-to-date with their development, won´t you?

Beautiful gozzies, wonderful you were able to give them a good home.

What sweet pics livin, lil Elsa looks good from what i can see of her surrounded by her body guards. and the others don't they grow so fast. so pretty
Little Elsa´s doing fine. I took the tie off her legs today, after only one day with it on, to see how she goes. She was walking fine with it on, so I took it off, and away she went... happy to be with the other geese again today. Dear little thing.

Other goslings are all pipped. One of them, another pied, died in the shell after it had pipped. It was doing so well, and then...stopped. It had a very enlarged abdomen, so maybe that´s what the problem was, don´t know.
So this year I´ve now lost 2 pieds ('painted', not saddleback really) at hatching stage, and lost the 2 newly-hatched...one in the squashed egg, and the other squashed by mom. And, of course, the ones that died in the shell, but that´s just how it goes.
There are 4 eggs with live goslings still to go, then that´s it for this year. I hope I don´t lose any more. I´m off to go and check how things are going down there....
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Little Elsa´s doing fine. I took the tie off her legs today, after only one day with it on, to see how she goes. She was walking fine with it on, so I took it off, and away she went... happy to be with the other geese again today. Dear little thing.

Other goslings are all pipped. One of them, another pied, died in the shell after it had pipped. It was doing so well, and then...stopped. It had a very enlarged abdomen, so maybe that´s what the problem was, don´t know.
So this year I´ve now lost 2 pieds ('painted', not saddleback really) at hatching stage, and lost the 2 newly-hatched...one in the squashed egg, and the other squashed by mom. And, of course, the ones that died in the shell, but that´s just how it goes.
There are 4 eggs with live goslings still to go, then that´s it for this year. I hope I don´t lose any more. I´m off to go and check how things are going down there....
big_smile.png
I bet she loves being with the others. That's great that she bounced back so good from such a rough start. A miracle. It is heartbreaking to lose them, to think Missy and Sam got so close with theirs and if only I'd helped. makes me sad. But we have 2 very precious stinkers too. Boy do they all think they are the Monarchy of the yard.
roll.png

Boy do they all think they are the Monarchy of the yard.
roll.png
lol.png
And my little snitches are getting bossy with the ducklings, now. One tried it on with a muscovy hen, who quickly put it in its place, then suddenly there was dad...muscovy hen made quick retreat! No wonder they think they can throw their weight around! They number 19 so far, the same as I had last year, but I´m just holding my breath for these last 4.......

Back
Top Bottom