Goslings of 2015 Hatch-a-Long

Hi! New to posting here but have lurked often. I have American buff geese and am hoping they give me some eggs this year. They are only 10 months or so, so I know they won't be that successful, but I'm hoping for a few babies this year. They should start laying soon if they are going to right?

Kinda off topic, but are geese normally pretty mean with other babies? Last spring/summer, when my geese were still quite young, they would go after my ducklings. They got a hold of one and slammed it down and the poor thing didn't make it. I was kind of surprised to see them do that, and after that had to be much more careful then in the past.

Excited for hatching this year (I already have chicken eggs in the incubator!)
My three Toulouse geese demonstrate enough aggressive behavior toward my chickens and ducks that I finally had to put them in their own space. And, they still want to get at the other birds in really aggressive manner.

I am sorry for not being here for a while but I've been busy anyway with all the aggressive gander things mine chase the ducks away but never hurt the chickens and the ducks never got hurt i guess all geese like certain and thngs and others dont

I'm sorry. I've been there and know that awful feeling. You did everything you could. What else was there to do? Nothing. It had to be in him to live also and bless his little heart he didn't have enough information on life to want to hang in there.
It might seem strange to some but I believe they also have a choice, like people. If they don't want to stay we can't make them. Heaven knows I've tried.
So did you. You did everything you possibly could. Be comforted in that he didn't die alone and in a barn by himself and if he had any chance you gave it to hi,.

Linda

You know Starfire, sometimes we do get them to live because we so want them to make it, for us.
Then it turns out that their life is so filled with problems we end up wondering if we should maybe have not tried so hard and their life ends early after many problems. That is harder on them and on us.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Linda

I think this applies to all of us on here

Last year i had a bunch of geese. Some of them were young ones i had raised that i wasnt sure about. So when eggs started appearing i took liquid food coloring and swabbed all the geese's vents with it. Each a different color. It dries then when the eggs came out it moistened and colored the eggs. Then i matched egg color to colored bottom.
Here are a few of the eggs

Back
Top Bottom