Goslings of 2015 Hatch-a-Long

Unless it is bleeding he will be fine. You did the right thing with the moist paper towel. Just make sure its not covering his air hole. Let him be just check on him from time to time without startling him and he should hatch with no problem.
Watch for bleeding and shrink wrapping. You still have plenty of time. Goslings take 24-48 hrs before coming out completely. Try not to panic & rush things by helping too early thats when things can go wrong very quickly

Thank you. I think the little guy is early, his hatch date was tomorrow

Thank you. I think the little guy is early, his hatch date was tomorrow

How many days are you counting? As far as how you got the due date. 30? Because geese can be any where between 28-35 days.
Mine average 30 days. Ive had a few 28 days and one bunch went all the way to 35 last spring, i didnt think they were going to hatch & was about to raid the nest and toss them.

How many days are you counting? As far as how you got the due date. 30? Because geese can be any where between 28-35 days.
Mine average 30 days. Ive had a few 28 days and one bunch went all the way to 35 last spring, i didnt think they were going to hatch & was about to raid the nest and toss them.

I counted 30 days to get his hatch date.

There is very little change in the gosling's progress. He is still alive and talking, and there seems to be less blood vessels in the visible membrane, but that's it. So I'm still keeping him moist and just waiting.

Last edited:
Here is the little guy this morning. Still under a damp napkin, so all you can see is his bill, lol. He is very chatty, I have been talking to him through the bator and any time I need to moisten his napkin.

Is he wrapped in the paper towel? If so just lay it over the egg. He may not be able to get out once he starts zipping.
A warm wet wash cloth is what i use, it gives extra humidity and they seem to pop right out with that method. Again i just lay it over the egg leaving the pipped end exposed. Never had one dry out either.

Last edited:
Is he wrapped in the paper towel? If so just lay it over the egg. He may not be able to get out once he starts zipping.
A warm wet wash cloth is what i use, it gives extra humidity and they seem to pop right out with that method. Again i just lay it over the egg leaving the pipped end exposed. Never had one dry out either.

No, he isn't wrapped in paper towel, it's a long, thin strip. I tucked it under and over the shell to help hold it in place, but nothing is holding it to the sides. I'm worried about the zagged edges of the remaining shell, can he hurt himself when he starts zipping? The hole is bigger than a quarter but smaller than a half dollar. When I remove the towel, I can see that he is still wrapped in membrane. Only his bill is through it, and it seems like the membrane is detaching from inside the shell and falling on him. Is this normal? The membrane is still moist so far.

Back
Top Bottom