Goslings

Plague

Songster
Sep 5, 2022
Hello everyone,
I am curious as I've been looking for mortality for goslings. Only things that seem to pop up are studies for wild ones. So if anyone has experience raising them, what has been your experience? As long as you take good care of them do they typically all survive? Are they similar to raising ducklings? We have rarely lost any ducklings, 4 out 29 we have raised didn't make it to 3 weeks, the rest we have had no issues, beyond our first group leg issues with a Pekin which we had been using chicken starter and once we started giving brewers yeast it worked it's self out. We moved to duck specific food with proper niacin after so not any issue since with that. Last batch we did have a couple start to get angel wing, we wrapped their wings, and changed feed to a slightly lowered protein, now I can not even tell which ones had the issue, beyond we marked all the birds so we noted it in our log, but visually I don't think anyone would know if I didn't tell them, I could be wrong, but I sure can't lol. I am concerned with this as gooslings are quite a bit more than ducklings so I just want to kinda get an idea if one would expect say 3 to all survive to adult hood as long as we do our job properly caring for them?

Hello everyone,
I am curious as I've been looking for mortality for goslings. Only things that seem to pop up are studies for wild ones. So if anyone has experience raising them, what has been your experience? As long as you take good care of them do they typically all survive? Are they similar to raising ducklings? We have rarely lost any ducklings, 4 out 29 we have raised didn't make it to 3 weeks, the rest we have had no issues, beyond our first group leg issues with a Pekin which we had been using chicken starter and once we started giving brewers yeast it worked it's self out. We moved to duck specific food with proper niacin after so not any issue since with that. Last batch we did have a couple start to get angel wing, we wrapped their wings, and changed feed to a slightly lowered protein, now I can not even tell which ones had the issue, beyond we marked all the birds so we noted it in our log, but visually I don't think anyone would know if I didn't tell them, I could be wrong, but I sure can't lol. I am concerned with this as gooslings are quite a bit more than ducklings so I just want to kinda get an idea if one would expect say 3 to all survive to adult hood as long as we do our job properly caring for them?
Rarely lose goslings, just like rarely losing ducklings.
I know at the price you don't want to lose them.

Never lost a gosling after hatch. They are healthy, happy, and a whole lot of fun. Incubating them is tricky and sometimes very frustrating, but if the little guy gets out of that hard egg, life is good.

Always have to keep in mind that although they are big, they do need protection from fox, raccoon, and stray dogs. Lots of personality and each one in an individual.

Thank you everyone for the feedback! We have been wanting some geese since last year, so we definitely looking forward to them looking forward to seeing the differences in growth rate and personality of geese from ducks and chickens!

Back
Top Bottom