got a broody and dad dosent aprove.. :}

Tell ya what, rethink the whole "taking them away" thing, I learned a great lesson myself in this. My broody took things into her own feathers and sat a bunch of eggs in the woods, without me knowing, and shows up with 9 healthy chicks 21 days later. I have not taken the chicks away from her at all. She is a great mother and takes very good care of her chicks.

I have tried with my other broody hens to have them "sit" some eggs and all have not worked. The one who did it herself is the best route I have found. The babies are three weeks old now and still with mommy and doing great.

In the future if the mother exhibits good behavior I will let the broody raise the chicks.

If you can house them hatch away!

They do look a bit "aged" after but will perk back up quick. I mean, if you were sitting on a nest for 3 weeks, not cleaning yourself, going potty once a day when you'd normally go every 15 min, and eating only once a day rather than grazing for 18 hours straight, what do you expect?

You are such an enabler John- btw-we now have 4 new baby bunnies!
gig.gif
I swear-Andy is never going to let me go to your house again!
shmoo-I think you can fit quite a few eggs under her, especially if some of them are bantam.
big_smile.png

Just a suggestion... maybe let her hatch a dozen or so eggs and let her keep 2 or 3 and you keep 2 or 3 and sell the rest. That way mama hen is happy, your happy, and your future customer is happy!
smile.png
big_smile.png

thats exactly what i was thinking! LOL shes definatly a hardcore broody.. i have taken her off the nest several times ( before i started this thread) and she is determind to hatch eggs.. she jusdt goes right back and sets up camp! so im sending the money order today... i hope that i hear from the person that i asked about bantam buffs, so i can get eggs at the sam etime..
big_smile.png

ok she got off... UGH.. welll mabye not ugh.. she got up got a drink, ate and it now dust bathing, this is the third time its happended.... but right when she is done she goes right back to the nest... im gonna put a bowl next to the nest so she can have acsess to water without geting up. and food ofcorse
smile.png
i put a tow over the area so it would stay cool, and an ice bottle in the nest to keep her cool too.
smile.png
she has the broody comb too.. when it turns alll pale and stuff
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom