got lucky.....

gnatboy911

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
So a few days ago I began to notice there were lots of dig marks and some of the large rocks were moved around the edge of my run. I borrowed my dad's trail cam to see what I was up against in regards to trapping. Here are some of the pictures I got. This was the first night, I got really lucky that it didn't get any of my birds. It looked like it didn't quite make it in the run, seemed to get stuck since there weren't any pictures of it actually in the run.

I got some fox urine that my dad gave me a while ago and placed around the coop last night just before dark. My parents have had good luck getting rid of skunks with fox urine. This morning it appears the urine did nothing! More skunk pictures, and it was definitely in the run. Here's a couple from last night.

You can clearly see the skunk in the run. On each post I hung a scent bottle with the fox urine, it apparently didn't do any good. I've got a live trap set tonight with some anchovies and peanut butter. I also made sure to close up the gap that the skunk got through, I feel pretty lucky my birds remained unharmed.

Love the cam pics.Busy little guy.Lol,how are you going to deal with it when you catch it?

My one word of wisdom..when you catch that thing...don't let the tail go up! Skunks have a bone in their tail that closes off the anus...yes..the smell really does come from there lol. If you keep the tail in line with the back...it can't spray.

Well no skunk last night. No trail cam pics of anything. It rained last night off and on most the night, which hasn't happened in a long time, so I think maybe that kept the skunk in its den. I've done some research on ways to get rid of them once they're in the trap. They say you can wrap it in a blanket and treat the trap real careful and that will keep it from spraying. Who knows, hopefully I find out! Don't want the skunk getting my birds...

just an update....got the skunk in the trap this morning and was able to dispatch it without it spraying everywhere. Chickens will be safer now.

just an update....got the skunk in the trap this morning and was able to dispatch it without it spraying everywhere. Chickens will be safer now.
Set your trap again you could have more than one.
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom