Got my first duck eggs today :-)

GermanChick

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
NW Missouri
My ducks just turned 17 weeks today and I found 2 eggs in the coop this morning!!!! So excited !!!!! Had them for breakfast and they were yummy :) Now we just have to have a talk about proper use of nesting boxes. I knew they were getting close to laying so I got them 3 nesting boxes with hay in them. Found the eggs in two different corners of the coop on the floor……. I know they have been in the nesting boxes because the hay is trampled down, guess I have to get more hay and a couple of fake eggs. Hopefully they will get the hint ;-)

I have 2 runners, 1 golden hybrid layer, 1 white layer and 1 black swedish. No idea who produced the eggs…..

Oh, congratulations! Those first eggs are so much fun! I was wondering, do duck eggs taste exactly like chicken eggs?

I know a few of my hens also layed on the floor of the chicken coop at first. Once the others started using the nest boxes, they followed suit.

Congrats!!!
celebrate.gif

My first eggs were laid in the dirt.
idunno.gif
After that they started using the nest boxes. I figured that were figuring out what was going on. It must be odd to suddenly start laying eggs.

so happy i found this thread! i have a question. i bough 2 ducks as babies.... they are much larger now and we know one is a girl and one a boy. if the girl lays eggs does this mean it will be fertile egg? and if so will she know to sit on it? i guess what im trying to ask is if we will have baby ducks in our future? lol

so happy i found this thread! i have a question. i bough 2 ducks as babies.... they are much larger now and we know one is a girl and one a boy. if the girl lays eggs does this mean it will be fertile egg? and if so will she know to sit on it? i guess what im trying to ask is if we will have baby ducks in our future? lol
You may, some duck breeds have had the broodiness bred out of them, but that doesn't mean even among that group some will still go broody.What breed are you talking about and yes if you have a drake and a duck you should have fertile eggs.
Welcome to BYC

Oh congrats! Isn't it so exciting to see your "hard work and effort" turn into fresh eggs! We have 4 Peking Ducks (or possibly 3 ducks / 1 drake) that are 24 weeks old today. We found our very first Egg on Friday the 8th (Aug) and received about 1/day then over the next week. 2 were the size of extra large chicken eggs, all the rest were even larger and contained double yokes! Then since this Saturday, we've received nothing! Is this normal? I figure if only one or two of the girls is actually doing all the laying, than maybe she/they just need a break. But I was sure there'd be an egg waiting for me this morning, and still nothing...anybody out there have any thoughts???

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom