Got new chickens, should i trust eating their eggs?

Anarchy82

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 10, 2011
Stroudsburg, PA
So this past week I picked up a handful of new chickens. All different kinds of breeds. I saw at the barn they feed the chickens the same food I feed mine. My wife and I cracked one open and looked, and it looks fine. The shell is not as hard as the eggs from our other chickens. But I figure it might be since mine are outside, and these chickens were kept inside.

Am I just being to cautious?
Should I just eat and enjoy them?

I would wait 14 days to be sure they were not medicated before i would eat them. You could always ask the previous owner if he medicated them, if he did not, i would say they are safe to eat if cooked properly.

Last edited:
every pol pullet I've bought, I wait until their egg yolk goes from yellow to the nice orange. Normally takes about two weeks. Then I eat them!

I did ask if she has given them any medications and she has not.The egg looks the same as from my one chicken that is laying eggs regularly. Its just the shell is not as thick.

The shell is like a shell from the grocery store. One hit to it and it cracks. With my chickens it takes two good hits. Also with a store egg, it will break into multiple pieces. With my chickens, its two solid pieces.So these chicken eggs are more like store bought eggs with the breaking. But open it up and its the same color and texture as my chickens.

On a side note, she was selling these eggs to people. So maybe I shouldn't worry as much. I got the chickens from a lady not to far from me locally.

I'd eat the eggs. Medication can be passed into the eggs if the hens are being treated. Levels would generally be very low, but it is still not a good idea to eat meat or eggs from medicated animals until the drug clearance period has been exceeded.

Quote:
This is why I started with chickens, and my own garden. Who knows what is in the stuff you buy at the store. Can't tell me people are not paid money to look the other way.

Quote:
Question... Why should you not eat eggs from a chicken with medicated feed?

Medicated feed is not so much the problem (however once your hens start laying you should switch to a laying feed).
I believe they are talking about if the hens were recently treated for worms/lice/mites - that type of medication.
When you use some of those meds, you should not eat the eggs for a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom