Got Rooster

mereinolan

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
South Georgia
So, had hens, then got rooster, now we got 2 eggs in nest today, normally only one. How long do I watch to see if one of the girls is going to be setting on them? I'm really lost when it comes to this part.

A hen will set on eggs when she goes broody. This is different than when she is just simply on the nest getting ready to lay an egg. She will go into a sort of "trance" and will not have to eat, drink, or poop as often. She will be soley devoted to hatching babies. Broodiness depends mainly on genetics and breed. Then hen will be on the nest for days, noticeably longer than before. She will also often fluff up and sometimes even hiss and "growl" when someone come close to the nest. All in all, you will notice the hen acting different. Also, you can't really "make" a hen go broody. However, you can encourage them by putting dummy eggs or something like golf balls in the nest boxes (or something else that kinda looks like an egg). Hope I helped!

Thank you. There are 2 more eggs in the nest today and I've noticed one the hens is staying closer to the coop most of the time... Here's hoping!

What breed of chickens do you have? Broodiness has been bred out of most modern chicken breeds, but there are a few that are still prone towards going "broody". None of my hens have ever gone broody, I keep hoping!

We have 2 rsr link hens and a barred rock hen. I'm hoping they will get with the program soon, there are 6 eggs in the nest now.

Back
Top Bottom