Got sand? You should!

I WILL NOT be able to use sand in Indiana right? In my coop? Or can I and just add a heat lamp. I have a wired keyless light that I can
Put a heat lamp
On and using sand there won't be a fire risk. Please advise. I'm just starting and the coop
Is
Coming next week.
5x6 Amish style coop with 2 6 foot roosts.

the run is 8X12 and was
Going to be sand dirt leaves etc.
it get to 0 degrees herein winter. Thank you. I have 8 babies that will all be hens

Fire risk for sand? I don't think there is anything that would catch fire. I should think that wood chips would be a bigger risk for fire than sand.

The only thing is the cold. I do know that many people say the deep litter method generates more heat in the winter but if you have the heat lamps then I don't see sand being an issue. I'd try it and see how it works at least. If you find it's not working for you just throw down some wood chips on top of the sand?

Will the run be in the soil or on a slab? If it's on a slab why the dirt and leaves?

Yup No sand in the winter. It can cause terrible frost bite. I live in MI and love love summer sand everywhere except the nest box. Its way easier to clean with a cat litter scoop.

I live in MI and don't use any heating contraption unless temps get below zero. I do add blankets over coop and made like a fabric curtain for the entry ways. If you bought a cold hardy breed I wouldn't worry. This winter was pretty light. I did buy a safe flat heat source for the freezing times.You cant control heat lamps so I would never say they are good. But the flat pannel heat has high and low, doesn't get so hot that the chickens will adapt to those temps. They are like heaters themselves. They need food to generate their thermostat. I also cover run in plastic, while still providing proper vents. Vents are important , drafts are bad. I was worried the first year I got my girls, until someone from Quebec Canada talked me down.

I love having sand! Moisture is good--it dries out fast and easy
263a.png

Why not use sand in the nest box? I have sand in my nest box because at least 2 of my 5 hens sleep and poop in there. I poop scope with a kitty litter scoper every morning. Also, why would sand be problem in the winter? I am new to having chickens and have been using sand in the run, the roost and the nest box. Are there good reasons why I should NOT be doing so? I live in Western KY. Winters are mild. My chickens have not started to lay eggs yet. I expect them too by mid July.

Why not use sand in the nest box?  I have sand in my nest box because at least 2 of my 5 hens sleep and poop in there.  I poop scope with a kitty litter  scoper every morning.  Also, why would sand be  problem in the winter? I am new to having chickens and have been using sand in the run, the roost and the nest box.  Are there good reasons why I should NOT be doing so?  I live in Western KY.  Winters are mild.  My chickens have not started to lay eggs yet.  I expect them too by mid July.

I use sand in all my boxes. It is clean, nothing gets kicked out of the boxes and my birds have never seemed bothered when I switched from grass hay to sand in the boxes. Mites arent as interested in sand either.

There's nothing cozy about sand in a nesting box. Its called a "nesting" box for a reason. I think it would be more kind and make more sense to not....I use wood shavings. Its 100% natural animal bedding, adds warmth and is dust free.

Felt the need to put my 2 cents about sand somewhere. This is our first year with chickens so we are figuring out what works best for us.

We have a small run/coop combo since the girls free range all day. The coop portion has wood shavings with a pull-out drawer for cleaning. That part works great. When we first got the chicks last summer we put sand in the run. It worked great and was easy to scoop. Until it wasn't... we live in CA and normally get almost no rain but this year has been the biggest year for rain we have seen in 10 years or more. Even though there is a roof over the run, the constant storms and rain blowing sideways got the sand soaking wet. Even though we got the coarser sand it still got all compacted into a nasty smelly poopy un-scoopable mess.
sickbyc.gif
Cleaning it was just impossible and I felt terrible for the girls. This weekend we just got rid of all the sand and changed the flooring under the run to a vinyl with a light layer of wood shavings. Hoping this is easier to scrape out the poop! And just power wash it when we do deeper cleaning. They don't poop a ton in there anyway since they are busy pooping on our patio and walkways!! Hope this new setup works better. Wish us luck....
fl.gif

What about colored play sand used for kids outdoor sandboxes? Has anyone heard/tried it? Crayola makes kid safe outdoor play sand, would it be safe for chickens?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom