Got sand? You should!

ya will it freeze in Wisconsin in cold and snow how would it improve the heat in the coop? ya that info was not told so ill stick with pine shavings unless otherwise factual shown that it wont freeze and heat will stay not dissipate and make it colder! but good topic for smaller warmer areas let me know what facts you find?
old post I know but I've just been visiting some family and its -26 there and the sand Hasn't frozen

FF768C0A-7CB0-43E6-B1C2-4AFD634AFE1C.jpeg
This is a picture of Nacho! She pecked my finger when I was taking this closeup. Almost dropped my phone! I have only 4 chickens, 16 weeks old. It took me a long while to switch to sand after trying several other medias in the coop. I still have nesting pads in the nesting boxes. My coop is small so I’ve allowed the girls to sleep in nesting area. They should be laying in a couple of weeks. In the small run I use Astro turf; they free range during the day so run does t get messy, but on the occasion it does, I pull it out and rinse off with hose. I dust the bottom with DE prior to inserting the dry turf. It is to hot these days I worry about the girls in coop at night so I put a couple of frozen milk cartons in corners. They seem to sleep near them at night.

Does it make a difference what type of sand you use? River sand, all-purpose? About how much do you need per square foot?

you mean you actually go in the coop and use a kitty litter scoop to clean up chicken poop? this is something i will not be doing.
I feel the same way. I'm not scooping poop of any kind off the ground. That is why we have insects and flies .they take care of the rest of the process of decomp.

Building a coop & covered run in Central Coast CA so rain Jan/Feb. Weighing pros and cons of sand vs DL with pine shavings/leaves, etc. Was going to enclose under the coop as well. Would cleaning be difficult under there? Have silkies, wyandottes and cochins. Any recommendations greatly appreciated! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6410.JPG
    IMG_6410.JPG
    563.2 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom