Got sand? You should!

Pics
I was thinking of buying one of those mini metal collapsible snow shovels and drilling holes into it. Then I can just folk it up and store it hanging on the side of the coop. I can't wait to use sand as I've heard it cuts down on flies about 90%. Right now flies are everywhere even with fly catchers.

Courser sand is less dusty, but then you may collect some small gravel with the poo when you clean up. I've used very fine to very course and have been happy with each. It just depends what is on the shore at the local lake.

Quote:
I just use my dog pooper scooper rake and rake any debris over to one corner of the coop and then I sift it through a little strainer or a wire colander and it works great. I think I must love "playing" in the sand ! I just sit on the step to the coop so I don't have to bend while sifting.

Quote:
I just use my dog pooper scooper rake and rake any debris over to one corner of the coop and then I sift it through a little strainer or a wire colander and it works great. I think I must love "playing" in the sand ! I just sit on the step to the coop so I don't have to bend while sifting.

I have to go out and do that today. Sift all the sand in the one pen. I use a cat litter scoop.

Cats Rule 00569 Stand Up and Scoop Telescoping Litter Scoop - Black and White 13.00

I have this scooper, it's working good for me so far!
smile.png

Just did my first "major" sand clean up today and I think it's been nearly 2 weeks. There was really no cleaning up to do as the poop seems to disappear for the most part. I did however have to "fluff" the sand up as it had become compacted. So many ins and outs from us humanoids helped pack it down as well. So it's storming now, there is the majority of the roof on the run but not complete due to unforseen circumstances which has delayed our plans for a few more weeks, so, we'll see what this rain does in the areas not solidly covered over. But so far, i'm loving my sand box!

Back
Top Bottom