Graduate School *freaking out a bit*

Rainier

Songster
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Thurston County, WA
I just graduated (Aug 15th) with my B.S. Psychology - Crisis Counseling degree.

I applied to Capella for their Marriage and Family Counseling/Therapist program and was accepted (once degree is confirmed). This program is CACERP accredited (which I need it to be). The reason I am going to this school is because I have to do a program that is online and flexible. My husband is in stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease and rapidly approaching End Stage Renal Failure. We have started the process to be listed by the transplant team. The reality is he will be on dialysis at some point and that means a lot of unexpected medical appointments and overall he feeling crappy and unable to drive himself. My daughter had brain surgery last summer for Chiari Malformation Type 1 and my youngest is on the spectrum high functioning.

I keep telling myself that I got through my under graduate degree with all of that going on and I can do graduate school. Thankfully I am able to go down to part-time work instead of working full-time like I did for my undergrad degree. I don't have the best graduating GPA only a 3.2 but considering everything I keep telling myself that is pretty dang good and I should be proud of what I was able to accomplish.

I'm suppose to start September 14!

Instead of feeling like
wee.gif

I feel like
hide.gif

Last edited:
First off, let me congratulate on getting your undergraduate degree! And being accepted into graduate school!

You've already accomplished a lot, all that plus taken care of a family, plus working full-time. Sounds to me like you're a strong, accomplished woman who is up to the challenges ahead.

Change is always a bit scary but it can be so rewarding too. Enjoy what you have done and what you have to look forward to. You can do this!

Congratulations! You should be proud of how far you have come already, despite the many challenges you have been faced with.

The nice thing about graduate school is that grades are not quite as important (unless you later want to go on to get your pH.d) The important thing is just having passion for your area of study, which is seems you already have! Best of luck in your endeavors! BYC will always be here to support you!

Thanks everyone!

I had a traumatic childhood.The messages we receive as children plant seeds and they can be hard to overcome.

I reduced a lot of what I was doing during undergrad so that helps a lot. I'm going down to part-time work.

I home school my children. The two oldest graduated from high school a year early and just finished their fist set of classes at a private Christian college which leave only one to home school this year. That will reduce my work load a lot.

My passion is one one that I don't get very much support for. I was an AmeriCorp last year and myself and another member are starting a non-profit to help parent who are currently in dependency. We want to support the parents are they work towards reunification with their children so that the children can safely (mentally, emotionally and physically) return to their parent(s). If the children cannot be returned safely then we want to support the parents to make healthy life choices so that when those children find their parents later the parents are healthy and able to model good choices.

As a survivor of pretty bad childhood abuse I know that the children, for the most part, always look for the parent that they were taken away from and have almost a "fairytale" belief about their birth parents. I want to help those parents be able to provide those children with the fairytale belief when possible.

What a wonderful mission, I wish you all the success. Please keep us posted on how things are going for you!

Back
Top Bottom