grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Birds are kind of a hobby. When my kids were toddlers, they would point out a bird and say jay! robin! sparrow! They knew quite a lot. We keep a little pair of binoculars in the kitchen to bird watch out back. Even now they will run in and tell me when a rare bird is sighted (oriole or western tanager). I love it!! Right now the Pacific Slope Flycatcher on my front porch has just hatched some eggs. We haven't been bugging her too much, but will try to get baby pics when she is out hunting.

Their living conditions resemble that of my yard. Really small birds. I think it is a junco
I don't know how you are so fast at research!!! You amaze me!!
Birds are kind of a hobby. When my kids were toddlers, they would point out a bird and say jay! robin! sparrow! They knew quite a lot. We keep a little pair of binoculars in the kitchen to bird watch out back. Even now they will run in and tell me when a rare bird is sighted (oriole or western tanager). I love it!! Right now the Pacific Slope Flycatcher on my front porch has just hatched some eggs. We haven't been bugging her too much, but will try to get baby pics when she is out hunting.
For me it is a big hobby! I can Identify all the birds that live in the Mediterranean area of Israel by their call. ISRAEL is a land bridge like Gibraltar that connect Euroesia to Africa so we have million of birds migrating especially in Oatohm and spring.

Last edited:
For me it is a big hobby! I can Identify all the birds that live in the Mediterranean area of Israel by their call. ISRAEL is a land bridge like Gibraltar that connect Euroesia to Africa so we have million of birds migrating especially in Oatohm and spring.
That must be beautiful! We are on the Pacific flyway, from S. America to the arctic, but California is quite large, and some birds hug the coast while others use the central valley, so I don't get to see many new species without traveling a couple of hours. Anytime we travel out of the county, I take my field guides and binoculars, but still working out most of the resident species, and only know the calls of the birds that live in my yard! Right now I hear a Eurasian Collared Dove hooting (cooing?). They are relatively new here in their continuing quest to take over the world!!

Do you plant in your garden to attract birds?

That must be beautiful!  We are on the Pacific flyway, from S. America to the arctic, but California is quite large, and some birds hug the coast while others use the central valley, so I don't get to see many new species without traveling a couple of hours.  Anytime we travel out of the county, I take my field guides and binoculars, but still working out most of the resident species, and only know the calls of the birds that live in my yard!  Right now I hear a Eurasian Collared Dove hooting (cooing?).  They are relatively new here in their continuing quest to take over the world!! 

Do you plant in your garden to attract birds?

Yes I have a lot of flowering and fruiting Plants
Now its the hight of the breeding time and I have this ones nesting in my garden:
Native birds

Invading birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom