grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you thinking about going to FF, here is the what I use:

(In approximate measure using a metal coffee can)

6 cans All Flock
1 can of scratch feed
1 can oats
1 can alfalfa pellets

I combine all of these is a large container. Then I use this mix to ferment. I use three buckets for the fermenting stage, meaning it ferments for three days.

I put the feed in a bucket, cover the feed with water and stir until completely wetted thoroughly. I make sure there is some water completely covering the feed. I do not stir the feed again until I get ready to feed it. The water standing on the top will absorb into the feed. I do not add more water to keep the feed covered. The feed is like some kind of thick mortar when I feed it. I leave approximately one cup of feed in the bottom of the bucket to use as a starter.

Easy Peary! No draining. Not stirring and stirring and stirring. I don't cover with lids or cloths either, bugs in the FF is extra protein.

I feed them enough that everyone gets full and there is some left over.

In the winter, I feed extra feed. On my days off I wait until feeders are clean before I feed them again.
Thank enola, just made my first container yesterday, but like the sound of yours better. I will tweek mine a bit when I feed out from it.

People that care about the overload of calcium use some sort of All Flock feed, offering oyster shell on the side for calcium.

I don't follow the train of thought that calcium causes roosters to fall over dead. I fed layer type feeds for 40 years before I started using All Flock. I fed it to everything - peeps, layers, molting chickens and roosters.

Where do you buy your feed??
A local feed store and sometimes tsc.

For those of you thinking about going to FF, here is the what I use:

(In approximate measure using a metal coffee can)

6 cans All Flock
1 can of scratch feed
1 can oats
1 can alfalfa pellets

I combine all of these is a large container. Then I use this mix to ferment. I use three buckets for the fermenting stage, meaning it ferments for three days.

I put the feed in a bucket, cover the feed with water and stir until completely wetted thoroughly. I make sure there is some water completely covering the feed. I do not stir the feed again until I get ready to feed it. The water standing on the top will absorb into the feed. I do not add more water to keep the feed covered. The feed is like some kind of thick mortar when I feed it. I leave approximately one cup of feed in the bottom of the bucket to use as a starter.

Easy Peary! No draining. Not stirring and stirring and stirring. I don't cover with lids or cloths either, bugs in the FF is extra protein.

I feed them enough that everyone gets full and there is some left over.

In the winter, I feed extra feed. On my days off I wait until feeders are clean before I feed them again.
You just made my life simpler enola lol. No stirring everyday sounds great to me.

This is a monumental post for me Red so I better make it good. I have found feed all flock raiser to be the best of both worlds. Its more expensive than layer or chick grower, but it feeds all ages. You just need to have oyster shell free choice for the layers. During the summer months I have a baked bean can that I have drilled small holes in the bottom of. I take that & screw it into one of the run post & fill with oyster shell, up high enough that the hens can reach it but not the chicks. I also have a wine bottle grit & oyster shell dispenser that I made for the big coop. I just need to get ambitious & make a couple more. I will take a picture of it when I go out shortly.

OK now for all the Hoop LA :celebrate
:highfive: :weee :ya :jumpy Congratulations to Red for reaching 2,000 post & to Maaw... for reaching 3,000 post. The scary part is Red only joined BYC this year, if he don't watch it BYC will have to create a BIG MOUTH award for the most posts in a year :lau Just kidding you Red lol.
Congratulations chicken lady on 3000 post!! :weee :weee shhhh I'm hoping no one would notice I've only been here for not even a year. :oops: Was hoping people that seen the post count would just say (this guy has a lot of experience from all the post he has ). And hoping they didn't look at the joined date :lau. I'm now going to look at your join date. For all I know you may be holding that big mouth trophy by yourself. :gig. Just kidding. Congratulations.

It's Tuesday! That's mean update on Ben!

I took him out to the yard with a bag of treats. The birds were all safely locked away. He knew I had the treats, and responded well when I said "leave it!" I gave the command when he would get still, ears up, and zone in. Y'all know what I mean. He came straight back and sat at my feet almost every time. Progress is progress! :celebrate

And now for pics!

Check out that body condition! :highfive:

Don't they look just like long lost best friends?? :love

Edit: I know he needs more work before he's to be trusted around chickens, but I was afraid that he was learning to bump my fist when I said leave it, not avoid the thing I was talking about. So now I know the concept is there. I'm not totally sure how to proceed because he's not trying to get the bait treats anymore. Do I have to drop a fresh one each time? After the first time I tell him to leave it, he doesn't bother it anymore.

Last edited:
Morning all. Camping, normally when buck start coming outta the woods, the rut is in. I was gonna go hunting this morning but hurt to bad. Made myself get up and go outside. Did manage to finish the framework on the door. Didn't have but one board to screw down. That's all I could do right now. The pains just to intense. Managed to trip on a pair of shoes and bust my tail. No worries. Been falling all my life with the cp. Stunt man ain't got nothing on me lol. I do know how to fall and not get hurt. I do this about once a week. Thank God I'm not clumsy and have cp. You'd have to rap me in nerf.
Question about eating deer: Are bucks good to eat? Are they good to eat during rut? In CA, you can only hunt bucks. Does are not taken. I had venison once when I was a kid and thought it was really strong tasting, not so great.

Both dogs look great, camping! Ben doesn't look like he's wearing his skeleton Halloween costume any more.
big_smile.png

One warning for the future- I have found that a trustworthy dog's behavior can change when with another dog. Ben may do really well with his training, but might "pack up" with your other dog and go hunt chickens, even though neither would do it on their own. Of course, none of mine were expertly trained like Mutt's. Just something to watch for in the future.

Morning all. Camping, normally when buck start coming outta the woods, the rut is in. I was gonna go hunting this morning but hurt to bad. Made myself get up and go outside. Did manage to finish the framework on the door. Didn't have but one board to screw down. That's all I could do right now. The pains just to intense. Managed to trip on a pair of shoes and bust my tail. No worries. Been falling all my life with the cp. Stunt man ain't got nothing on me lol. I do know how to fall and not get hurt. I do this about once a week. Thank God I'm not clumsy and have cp. You'd have to rap me in nerf.

Question about eating deer:  Are bucks good to eat?  Are they good to eat during rut?  In CA, you can only hunt bucks.  Does are not taken.  I had venison once when I was a kid and thought it was really strong tasting, not so great. 

I can't taste a difference. I love venison and we got spoiled to the abundant deer in MS. We ate it in EVERYTHING. I don't enjoy ground beef and rarely use if because of the cost and the fat. Venison is very lean. I don't like it by itself, though, because it can be a little gamey. Makes perfect chili, though.

Both dogs look great, camping!  Ben doesn't look like he's wearing his skeleton Halloween costume any more.  :D

One warning for the future-  I have found that a trustworthy dog's behavior can change when with another dog.  Ben may do really well with his training, but might "pack up" with your other dog and go hunt chickens, even though neither would do it on their own.  Of course, none of mine were expertly trained like Mutt's.  Just something to watch for in the future. 

Thanks! I'll def remember that. With our last two, the cav and the lab, neither left our sides unless they were together. Then they would adventure a day or two. So we had to let them out separately, or have one leashed. I get afraid of the same thing with these two. :oops:

Question about eating deer:  Are bucks good to eat?  Are they good to eat during rut?  In CA, you can only hunt bucks.  Does are not taken.  I had venison once when I was a kid and thought it was really strong tasting, not so great. 

Soak it overnight in salt water- brine before cooking. It makes it tender too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom