{Graphic} Does My Hen Need Stitches?!

Thank You!

Here's a little update on Daisy.

Her wound is almost completely closed, just a tad bit left.
And, to my surprise , she laid an egg yesterday! I don't know if it hurt to lay the egg, but I think she's feeling way better.
She's very loud and vocal, so that makes me think she's back to her old self. She usually shouts up a storm when she lays.
Also, her feathers are growing back! I wasn't sure when they would return, but since we've split her off and fed her really well, her feathers are returning.

Daisy is a strong chicken and I'm glad she's doing well
Thanks so much for everyone who contributed!

Thank You!

Here's a little update on Daisy.

Her wound is almost completely closed, just a tad bit left.
And, to my surprise , she laid an egg yesterday! I don't know if it hurt to lay the egg, but I think she's feeling way better.
She's very loud and vocal, so that makes me think she's back to her old self. She usually shouts up a storm when she lays.
Also, her feathers are growing back! I wasn't sure when they would return, but since we've split her off and fed her really well, her feathers are returning.

Daisy is a strong chicken and I'm glad she's doing well
Thanks so much for everyone who contributed!
celebrate.gif
she is looking good.

Last year I found one of my hens with a large gash on the side, This is what she looked like;

The cut was caused by the spurs of the rooster. It looked really bad so I thought I had to process her. I read here in BYC about curing cuts and wound using Epson Salts. I cleaned the wound with peroxide and mixed some Epson salts in water so I had a paste. I put the paste in the wound and put the hen in a separate cage in the coop. after a few day, it stared to heal and the wound closed completely without the need of stiches

it isn't advised to use peroxide as it "eats" the good tissue as well as the bad/damaged

Peroxide is very good at debriding an infected wound, or using once to clean out a dirty wound or bite with it's bubbling action. It may interfere with healing with repeated use, but it is fine to use a time or two for those reasons above. Things like normal saline and Vetericyn are excellent for wound care. Chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) is good to use to clean a dirty wound.

Peroxide is very good at debriding an infected wound, or using once to clean out a dirty wound or bite with it's bubbling action. It may interfere with healing with repeated use, but it is fine to use a time or two for those reasons above. Things like normal saline and Vetericyn are excellent for wound care. Chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) is good to use to clean a dirty wound.

X2 I only used the peroxide to clean the wound the first day I treated that cut. That's all, it worked for my hen and I'm glad it did.

Casportpony (Kathy)
That is why I like coming to this forum, people always have good information to pass along. Thanks for the link.

Back
Top Bottom