*Graphic*Eggtopsy.Fatal cresteds.

WolfGirlMagic

Songster
5 Years
Nov 9, 2017
This is an example of what you can expect from breeding a crested duck to a crested duck.
The double crested Gene will cause fatal lack of development in the scull causing the brain to be exposed.
Here are pictures of the eggtopsy, and why you never want to breed two cresteds together if you want a high hatch rate. (This egg was an accidental grab. My crested hen layed in my non crested box :/)

Attachments

• IMG_20190716_204056.jpg
    IMG_20190716_204056.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20190716_203312.jpg
    IMG_20190716_203312.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20190716_203305.jpg
    IMG_20190716_203305.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 18
I ran into something similar with some Swedish Flower Hen chicken eggs I bought. I didn't know any better and thought that I would get some lovely crested chicks because she had a crested rooster over crested and noncrested hens. I had quite a few quitters and DIS, and two of the four chicks I managed to hatch have vaulted skulls so I am handling them with kid gloves, as the saying goes. I wish I had known better before I bought the eggs. I ran into the same issue with some pyncheon eggs I bought (also chicken) which all came out with vaulted skulls and died within a month.

I ran into something similar with some Swedish Flower Hen chicken eggs I bought. I didn't know any better and thought that I would get some lovely crested chicks because she had a crested rooster over crested and noncrested hens. I had quite a few quitters and DIS, and two of the four chicks I managed to hatch have vaulted skulls so I am handling them with kid gloves, as the saying goes. I wish I had known better before I bought the eggs. I ran into the same issue with some pyncheon eggs I bought (also chicken) which all came out with vaulted skulls and died within a month.
Oh my! That's horrible!
Well, we live and learn.
I think it's more sad when they die after hatching. DIS or quiters don't bother me as much. Maybe because I haven't 'met them' yet.
I got a surprising hatch with relatively great statistics for the circumstances.
I usually get less than 50%
This time I got 64%!
If the 3 didn't DIS with the fatal crest I would have 11 running around!

I agree, its even worse when they make it out and even get a few days to weeks along (and possibly have names) and then up and die on you! I had those chicks with a broody and if I'd known the cause of the strange shaped heads I would have kept them in a brooder, like I am doing with the new hatched chicks. So far they are doing well (knock on wood). Of the three DIS, one hit a blood vessel and bled out, one zipped and then died (no exposed brain), and one was malpositioned (I did not check its head). I didn't check any of the quitters.

ETA congrats on your hatch rate!

Back
Top Bottom