GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

On mobile this thread has 83 pages... Where do I find 109?

I feel very ignorant how do I find post 109? thx

??? How many posts per page are you showing? On my android, I'm doing 30 posts per page, and post 109 is on page 4.

If you go to the bottom of the page (on your mobile) you will see a box that says mobile/desktop. Click on desktop, and this thread has over 250 pages (10 posts per page). You're not really clear if your looking for post 109 or page 109.

Last edited:
The endoscopic camera works great if you have a videographer to hold the camera and make minor adjustments. I didn't have that today, but I did experiment with a lot of different ways to secure the camera. I have about ten minutes of endoscopic video footage to slog through this week. I used the endoscopic camera when caponizing a RIR cockerel that is four months old.

I've got footage shot on an Android phone when I caponized a ten-week-old RIR cockerel. If I can get it to upload to Vimeo, then I'll be able to post it here. I've tried twice to upload the data, but it never makes it past thirty or forty percent before it fails.

Clock has started ticking for caponizing round two! I separated out four 9-wk old biel boys this morning and gave them a light breakfast with water in the doggie crate. I'm planning to tackle removal tomorrow evening. Ideally they would go under the knife in the morning, but I've got a couple of friends who want to observe and evening was the best time with schedules.

Which leads me to a question about when/if to remove water - seems like most of you remove water 12 hours prior? My concern is that doing so leaves the birds without water during a 90 degree day. Should I put a fan on them, take them inside and find somewhere the dogs can't bark at them, or not remove water prior to surgery at all?

Clock has started ticking for caponizing round two! I separated out four 9-wk old biel boys this morning and gave them a light breakfast with water in the doggie crate. I'm planning to tackle removal tomorrow evening. Ideally they would go under the knife in the morning, but I've got a couple of friends who want to observe and evening was the best time with schedules.

Which leads me to a question about when/if to remove water - seems like most of you remove water 12 hours prior? My concern is that doing so leaves the birds without water during a 90 degree day. Should I put a fan on them, take them inside and find somewhere the dogs can't bark at them, or not remove water prior to surgery at all?
Day 1: Food and water
Day 2: Water only
Day 3: Caponize

Day 1: Food and water
Day 2: Water only
Day 3: Caponize

Oh! That's good to know. The heat index here for the last couple of weeks has been over 100 degrees F. There's no way I was going to take water away for 24 hours prior. They'd all be dead. I'm glad to know they can have water the day before.

I think for humans, the practice is to not eat or drink prior to surgery because you could regurgitate and aspirate the vomit while under anesthesia. Since no anesthesia is involved in caponizing, what is the benefit to withholding food and water prior? Is it vital or just a convenience?

Oh! That's good to know. The heat index here for the last couple of weeks has been over 100 degrees F. There's no way I was going to take water away for 24 hours prior. They'd all be dead. I'm glad to know they can have water the day before.

I think for humans, the practice is to not eat or drink prior to surgery because you could regurgitate and aspirate the vomit while under anesthesia. Since no anesthesia is involved in caponizing, what is the benefit to withholding food and water prior? Is it vital or just a convenience?
You want the crop and bowel empty. Water swells the bowel, obstructing one's view and increasing the chance that one might nick or accidentally cut the bowel.

Last edited:
Clock has started ticking for caponizing round two!  I separated out four 9-wk old biel boys this morning and gave them a light breakfast with water in the doggie crate.  I'm planning to tackle removal tomorrow evening.  Ideally they would go under the knife in the morning, but I've got a couple of friends who want to observe and evening was the best time with schedules.

Which leads me to a question about when/if to remove water - seems like most of you remove water 12 hours prior?  My concern is that doing so leaves the birds without water during a 90 degree day.  Should I put a fan on them, take them inside and find somewhere the dogs can't bark at them, or not remove water prior to surgery at all?

Good luck with everything!
1f637.png

For those who ordered tools: The package should arrive in Haskell tomorrow. I'll repackage and issue shipping invoices as quickly as I can. Grandkids are here until Monday night, but that shouldn't slow me down.

Saturday, I took four grandchildren to a poultry sale/swap that was two hours from the farm. The kids were troopers. They handed out drink coupons and sat in lawn chairs while crazy Granny talked to everyone who walked past. I didn't sell a single capon, though. People asked, "How much are your barred rock and black australorp hens?" I told them they were looking at a cage of capons and explained the tiny combs and wattles, but I don't think the information sunk in. One lady left and came back an hour later, just to "look" at the birds that I'd "mislabeled".

"I'm positive," I told her. "Those are males. If you buy them thinking they will lay eggs; you'll be horribly disappointed." She rolled her eyes and left.

Back
Top Bottom