GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Ok, I'm sorry. But why would you not take the bird to an avian vet and have this done with local anesthetic? This is brutal animal abuse in my opinion. Pluck their feathers out, slice them open, and remove testicles with NO anesthetic?

*Edited*
Banned in the UK for amateurs.

Ok glad to hear your viewpoint. I was suspicious that the baking soda & vinegar would be close to a lethal dose and would only permit very brief dipping of the chicken into the gas maybe only a few seconds and would be dicey. Then if the are unconscious they may just expire and reviving wouldn't work. I may just ice the incision site until they don't react to a pinch and get the job done.

The problem with the ice route is twofold. I understand that chickens get hypothermia easily when you open them up. So adding ice might chill them and increase mortality. The other factor is damage to the dermis and epidermis through frostbite but that's pretty remote i think.

Anybody use surgical staples to close the incision? I'd hate to go through all that work and get a lethal infection.

If you flood the tank with CO2 the animal will freak out. It is not calm and peaceful. When I've put animals down with it I put them into the tank and then very very slowly start to pump in the CO2. Once they pass out I flood the tank(for euthanasia) Also, when you use the vinegar method the air reeks of vinegar. IMO that with the lack of o2 stresses the animals. You need it to be slow, they get drowsy and then pass out. I'm not sure what kind of damage taking them to the point of passing out and then reviving them will have.

Ok glad to hear your viewpoint. I was suspicious that the baking soda & vinegar would be close to a lethal dose and would only permit very brief dipping of the chicken into the gas maybe only a few seconds and would be dicey. Then if the are unconscious they may just expire and reviving wouldn't work. I may just ice the incision site until they don't react to a pinch and get the job done.

The problem with the ice route is twofold. I understand that chickens get hypothermia easily when you open them up. So adding ice might chill them and increase mortality. The other factor is damage to the dermis and epidermis through frostbite but that's pretty remote i think.

Anybody use surgical staples to close the incision? I'd hate to go through all that work and get a lethal infection.
You don't need to close the incision and doing so may cause wind puffs. Stretch the top leg away from the body in one direction and the wings (fasten around the base) in the other. The stretched top leg will displace the skin from its normal location. When you loose the leg, the skin will cover the incision.

BE VERY SURE YOU KNOW THE INCISION SPOT. Many first timers cut too far forward by one rib and see lungs instead of testes. It's up fairly near the backbone at the crease of the thigh. Palpate the intercostal space carefully several times the night before, while you're plucking the feathers. A swab with some alcohol can help visibility.

The teste will be deeper in the body than you imagine, and may be any color from white to mottled to black. It should be about the size of a plump rice grain (unless they're younger/older than ideal). One to two pounds is the preferred weight range with (my opinion) 1.5 pounds being just about perfect.

When you are done, you can turn them out into a wire pet kennel (or similar) with feed & water. Most will begin eating and drinking almost immediately. You can let them loose in the evening, or sooner if you prefer. It's best not to keep them away from the other birds longer than necessary or they may have trouble integrating back into the flock.

You don't need to close the incision and doing so may cause wind puffs. Stretch the top leg away from the body in one direction and the wings (fasten around the base) in the other. The stretched top leg will displace the skin from its normal location. When you loose the leg, the skin will cover the incision.
Terrific post! Thank you so much! I have to deal with these males and want to do so responsibly. My four Bresse hatched around 1/16/2021. I'm not sure of the gender at this point. I was thinking wait until I can see the color of the wattles, pink vs. beak colored to tell sex.

My biggest concern is nicking an artery and losing the bird. I hatched them out and want them to live good reasonably long lives. I watched the caponizing videos on YouTube and it seems they is a valley when you stretch the bird's leg that is very noticeable. All the videos show a yellow testis. I've settled on ice and ibuprofen in drinking water for pain management. I'll fast the bird for at least 24 hours to try to keep the intestines empty.

What is the best way to ensure you remove all of the testis without rupturing surrounding arteries? I've heard that slips are super common.

I know that there are some folks still using this thread. If you want to get tools from China, I have a contact. I generally order twice a year.

My next group order for capon tools from China will be emailed to my guy in China on February 25th. The Chinese New Year celebration will prevent me from ordering before that date.

I put together a google form for those who wish to be included. The form needs to be completed on or before February 20th to give me enough time for paperwork. If you have questions, send me a private message. If you want to be in on this upcoming order, here's a link to the form.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...00CJJ5AJrFSc_tMlNVeTld2A/viewform?usp=sf_link

Edited to add the following: Many people have asked if they can get just a rib dilator. The answer is yes! I've added the option to get the small cockerel size or the large rooster size to the form.

Last edited:
I'm getting questions about shipping. Since the tools are coming from China, I've got to pay to get them here. I will figure the % of international shipping for each order based on how much the order weighs. The domestic shipping will be as low as I can make it. I will use a small flat rate box if possible. So, yes, if you order there will be two PayPal invoices. Invoice #1 will be for the cost of the tools. Invoice #2 will be for international plus domestic shipping. I do not add a handling charge. I'm trying to help people get better tools if they are serious about learning how to caponize.

Question about the incision site. As I've read and watched the caponizing videos, the testes are located nestled above the intestine and near to the back. So should the incision between the sixth and seventh rib get cut closer to the spine?

Question about the incision site. As I've read and watched the caponizing videos, the testes are located nestled above the intestine and near to the back. So should the incision between the sixth and seventh rib get cut closer to the spine?
The incision should be made between the last two ribs.

Attachments

• 98095664-2550-4C96-AB3D-7B93BD219FEC.jpeg
    98095664-2550-4C96-AB3D-7B93BD219FEC.jpeg
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom