GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

I'm going to have to try this on Tuesday a surgeon is coming in to do my Decrowi my greatest fear that he won't make it

Well, honey, keep us updated on this.
pop.gif

Got my old lady (read sit in your comfy chair) caponizing table / station all set and ready to go for the 16th or 15th whenever Sunday is. I would post pics but it hasn't made it's maiden voyage yet so don't know if it will work or not. But if it does it is put together w/ common cheap, get at your local Wally world/ Lowes / Dollar store for next to nothing type stuff.

I sent instructions for fasting prior to capon surgery to two people bringing their own birds on March 16. Everybody else, your cockerels will be fasted and waiting for you when you arrive.

I'm making a folder of handouts for participants. I'll PM everybody individually, but here's the general schedule for the clinic:

9:00 - 10:00: Arrival Time
* Receive handouts and choose workstation

10:15 - Step-by-step demonstration
* Q & A during demo

10:30 - Break into two groups. Each group sees a second demo, closeup.
* Q & A during demo

10:45 - Participants work with mentors to caponize two cockerels each.

LUNCH - Drive to El Jalapeno's for lunch (Haskell).

After Lunch: Participants work with mentors to caponize three or more cockerels each.

I will have a few older birds prepared for capon surgery. If participants are interested in seeing the difference in caponizing a cockerel versus a rooster, I can do a demo after participants are finished with their five cockerels.

I sent instructions for fasting prior to capon surgery to two people bringing their own birds on March 16. Everybody else, your cockerels will be fasted and waiting for you when you arrive.

I'm making a folder of handouts for participants. I'll PM everybody individually, but here's the general schedule for the clinic:

9:00 - 10:00: Arrival Time
* Receive handouts and choose workstation

10:15 - Step-by-step demonstration
* Q & A during demo

10:30 - Break into two groups. Each group sees a second demo, closeup.
* Q & A during demo

10:45 - Participants work with mentors to caponize two cockerels each.

LUNCH - Drive to El Jalapeno's for lunch (Haskell).

After Lunch: Participants work with mentors to caponize three or more cockerels each.

I will have a few older birds prepared for capon surgery. If participants are interested in seeing the difference in caponizing a cockerel versus a rooster, I can do a demo after participants are finished with their five cockerels.

Everybody have a good time!! Really a good learning experience. I envy you. Pls take LOTS of pics.
clap.gif

Good luck MD. Still got my capon...he's over 10lbs now. Is you BA still among the living??

Yeah - he got a reprieve for the time being. I knew Hapless was coming, and I wanted Tony to see how fat and sassy he was. He (the capon) is a short timer now, though...
Good luck today. Wonderful that your are mentoring Hapless Runner.
celebrate.gif

Thank you - it's the least I can do, considering how helpful Kass and Poco have been... my dad used to say "Don't repay kindness, pass it on!"

Well, I was rusty, and my hands were shaky on the first two. Funny how that goes... had to remember how to get in my 'business' frame of mind.
We did five, took a break for lunch then came back and did four more. I kept back two since I recently lost my backup BCM cock and these boys were sired by him.

Only one, about midway through the bunch, was a bleeder, and he left the table pale and droopy. But 20min back in the cage and he was back up and moving around again. Everybody else did great. The Chinese retractor works like a champ, really minimizes bleeding around the incision compared to my old retractor. We reread Poco's post on the thread tool, but didn't get up enough nerve to try that.
A couple of the cockerels had one black teste, that threw us off for a moment but we got it figured out. Hapless was a natural, patient and steady handed. It was cool to be able to hang out with someone who could talk chickens all day - most folks I know get that glazed look after about 10 minutes of me talking chickens...
idunno.gif

I would like to express my sincere appreciation to Maggiesdad for dedicating a Saturday to teach a novice an old time art.

As I told Maggiesdad, the difficulties that we ran into on several birds were particularly educational. You always learn more from the hardest lessons rather from than the easier material. I certainly had quite a few learning experiences today. But I must say, that processing the number of birds and practice that I got certainly gave me the confidence to go forward on my own.

Even though there were extra hands to help, I suspect that we invested a lot more time to do these birds than with out the "extra help". I really do like the Chinese tools and believe that they were really a good investment. The retractor is fantastic!

One of the bigger challenges that I noted is getting sufficient magnification and light with which to work. I had a headlamp but it always seemed to be at the wrong angle when you had to move in close. With respect to magnification these almost 60 year old eyes needed a double set of glasses! I was wearing my computer glasses and put on a stronger set of reading glasses over them. Having sufficient magnification allows you greatly refine your movements during the surgery.

Once again, many thanks for investing the time and effort to train this newbie. I owe you a couple of cream legbar pullets!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom