GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

I'd like to get in on the next order of tools. Picking up some Bresse hatching eggs tomorrow and see caponizing in my future. Would also love to host a caponizing clinic in the Pacific Northwest if anyone is interested in coming to teach.

Processed a set of CX today. All hatched Jan 2nd.

All fed FF from day one, fully free ranged in a group of 50. 99% of the testes on the birds were a Loma bean size...like the lil one in pic...then this ONE rooster with the teenyiest tiniest body and HUGE head lol had THESE bad mama Jammas!

Last edited:
I processed 10 birds today, eight of which were capons. Now I get to figure out what to do with them all. One of them is a Bresse, so he is going in the oven. He is the first full Bresse capon....my other Bresse were slips, since they were caponized early on in my learning curve. These weren't my big fella, but he will likely be processed the next time.

Processed a set of CX today. All hatched Jan 2nd.

All fed FF from day one, fully free ranged in a group of 50. 99% of the testes on the birds were a Loma bean size...like the lil one in pic...then this ONE rooster with the teenyiest tiniest body and HUGE head lol had THESE bad mama Jammas!
just in processing I have noticed the ones with bad attitudes have the biggest....

What is everyone using to cut with when caponizing? The cutting edge in the tool kit is not really very sharp. I guess it could be sharpened?

Does anyone use a scalpel, like for surgery or dissecting?

Is any one planning on having a workshop or class anytime soon?

What is everyone using to cut with when caponizing? The cutting edge in the tool kit is not really very sharp. I guess it could be sharpened?

I use a scalpel with a #15 blade. Most use one with a #10 blade, I think. I use the #15 because it is smaller and gives me the control I need to minimize the risk of cutting too deeply on the very small birds(I have started caponizing at 4-6 weeks as long as I can determine the sex of the bird). I don't know about plans for workshops or classes.

The scalpel/forceps tool in the kit is meant to be pushed, not pulled. That's counterintuitive, I know, but both the straight blade and the round blade will make a nice, clean cut if the skin is held taut and the blade is pushed forward rather than drawn back.

I've used regular scalpel blades too. #10 works well, but for roosters I like a #22 blade. Mostly, though, I use the round blade that is in the single kit.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom