GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Moreover, birds do not have the same nerve structure that humans or other animals have and therefore don't feel pain for these types of procedures.

Oh, they definitely feel the incision, no question about that. Other than that, they don't seem to notice at all when I'm rooting around in there to get ahold of the testicles, nor do the feel the removal. The only discomfort I've noticed is once in awhile one will have a hard time breathing if I take to long about it. That whole air sac structure is just weird.

Once the initial incision is done, they don't appear to be in any pain and I have never seen a shock reaction from pain as you would see in other animals. Their pain receptors are definitely wired differently. They do stand there looking a little put out after they're glued up, but once everyone is done and the food/water have been added to the capon pen, all is forgotten.

When I first started dispatching my own chickens for food, I noticed how long they'll last in the fridge before going off. Grocery store chicken is good for a few days before the funk sets in. I can't help but think how long that stuff has been decomposing before we purchase it. Between that, the ammonia baths, the toxic feed and the threat of having chickens processed in China (!!), there's no chance in hell I'll eat big agri chicken again. Nasty.

@kizanne
I live less than an hour from Houston, I called every Avian Vet I found listed. NOT A SINGLE ONE WOULD CAPONIZE MY TWO ROOS
203c.png
One was willing to do hormone therapy, $400.00 every 3 to 4 months per bird. Whatever it is that they implant, it is done WITHOUT ANESTHESIA
203c.png
--- Every 3 to 4 months mind you---for the lifetime of the roos.
This is why I have purchased the tools and will be attempting to caponize the first one tomorrow. I have educated myself the best I can, and I know this is the best option. I don't want to kill them just because they are 'oops' in my chick order. If they die in my attempt to caponize them, I know I did the best I could.

Now, that brings me to the question I was going to ask before I saw that post and had to reply:
When someone says they are going to caponize & they do 36 / 12. I am taking this to mean: You cage them for a total of 36 hours, & withhold water the final 12. Is this correct? And if it is, please wish me luck for my first attempt tomorrow!
Rose

@kizanne
I live less than an hour from Houston, I called every Avian Vet I found listed. NOT A SINGLE ONE WOULD CAPONIZE MY TWO ROOS
203c.png
One was willing to do hormone therapy, $400.00 every 3 to 4 months per bird. Whatever it is that they implant, it is done WITHOUT ANESTHESIA
203c.png
--- Every 3 to 4 months mind you---for the lifetime of the roos.
This is why I have purchased the tools and will be attempting to caponize the first one tomorrow. I have educated myself the best I can, and I know this is the best option. I don't want to kill them just because they are 'oops' in my chick order. If they die in my attempt to caponize them, I know I did the best I could.

Now, that brings me to the question I was going to ask before I saw that post and had to reply:
When someone says they are going to caponize & they do 36 / 12. I am taking this to mean: You cage them for a total of 36 hours, & withhold water the final 12. Is this correct? And if it is, please wish me luck for my first attempt tomorrow!
Rose

Good luck on your first attempt. How old are your roos?

Yes, to your question. I isolate mine two days prior, but this is because I use Vitamin K to help with the bleeding. Usually it's Vit K on day two, feed as usual. Day before surgery withhold food and then remove Vit K water the night before.

Last edited:
Good luck on your first attempt. How old are your roos?

Yes, to your question. I isolate mine two days prior, but this is because I use Vitamin K to help with the bleeding. Usually it's Vit K on day two, feed as usual. Day before surgery withhold food and then remove Vit K water the night before.
They are 12 weeks, and from what I have been reading, I need to be getting them done. I might have to postpone until Monday, and they will be 13 weeks by then. I like your idea about vit K, do you use human vit k just dosed for their size? I'm thinking about that & it would be very difficult to do. Anyway, if I can get what you are using by Monday, it would be worth postponing! Thank you TaraBellaBirds, Rose

They are 12 weeks, and from what I have been reading, I need to be getting them done. I might have to postpone until Monday, and they will be 13 weeks by then. I like your idea about vit K, do you use human vit k just dosed for their size? I'm thinking about that & it would be very difficult to do. Anyway, if I can get what you are using by Monday, it would be worth postponing!
Thank you TaraBellaBirds,
Rose

The Vit K I get is from China and is what they use on their capons. There is a difference between this and the kind used here in the U.S. Maybe someone else can explain the diferences. I just use what the person who taught me uses
big_smile.png
Sorry I can't be of more help.

I know the question of Caponizing and crowing comes up from time to time so I thought I would share my observations so far.

My first capon was a 5 week old EE that had shown no sign of trying to crow but he did have a bright red pea comb starting to pop out. He along with all of our original other chicks was hand tame. After the surgery he was a bit skittish at first with me but even more docile around the other chickens and at nearly 9 weeks still shows no sign of crowing. His comb stopped, or dramatically slowed, developing.

The second capon was a much older EE with well developed comb and the person that gave him to me said he was starting to crow weakly. I never heard it. He was fairly aggressive and definately not hand tamed. After the surgery, he progressively became more docile and shows no indication that he will crow. When I first integrated him with the flock after the surgery he challenged the other birds, chest pumping, staring contests, flared hackles, but no fighting or pecking to speak of. I did note that one of the much smaller hens got the best of him in the staring contsest but most of the others were cowed by him. A couple of weeks on now, he is just one of the flock and does not seem to challenge anyone. As you'll see next, if anything he is a bit timid.

The last capon, was an 8 week or possibly a little older White Lehorn rooster with full comb and wattle development. He appeared to be a little gentleman and hand tame when we got him but he was crowing loudly and often. After the surgery he was skittish around me but has shown no inclination to crow again. It's been 5 days; time will tell. We put him in with the flock after 2 days and there was no fighting. He seems to still be a little dominant and will shoe the largest/oldest capon away occaisionally but nothing really. The one getting shoed seems to be nervous around the little Leghorn but both are well integrated, eat when and what they want, sharing the feeder and waterer peacefully with the hens. They all turn in in the evening at the same time and sleep on the top roost close together.

I think it has gone amazingly smoothly wth all of the birds and any of the three capons would make a great pet if a person was inclined to keep them as pets. We are keeping them as meat chickens.

@Neuport
I really hope (if he survives) that I have that type of success with my one roo. He is a Golden Campine and is 12 weeks old. He has been crowing for 6 weeks, is dominating and obnoxious. He went from my favorite chic to the one I dislike the most. He will be the 'guinea pig', the first I caponize. My other roo is a Black Star, same age, and is the gentlest, sweetest thing. He hasn't started crowing and is just starting comb development.
I was going to caponize 'the jerk' this morning, but I have had to postpone until Monday. Here's hoping I get the nice roo / capon back!
Rose

Neuport, this sounds like my batch of hatchery GLWs. The first one I caponized is in with younger chicks - all cockerels, and all going under the scalpel soon - and even though the chicks are half his size he doesn't go after them, and at first he would peck at them if they got between him and food, but after a few chilly nights (in the 50s here!) when they all cuddled up to him he has accepted them and now only peck at them when they try to pull his feathers. Honestly, it sort of reminds me of the movie "Kindergarten Cop" the way the younger cockerels walk over him now ... occasionally, they literally walk over him. As I get a couple more tractors built, the little chicks (2 weeks old now) will each get a capon "uncle" to cuddle for the occasional chilly night.

Ok, attempt 1 is now complete.
1) the bird is still alive
2) the bird still has both testicles
3) I will make another attempt later this week
4) it would be so much easier with someone covering his
head
5) I learned A LOT
6) I'm hoping the next attempt goes better
7) from reading I know I am dealing with a high strung bird,
and it is supposed to be much easier with a layed back
bird
8) it definitely bothered him when I plucked feathers
9) it bothered him even more when I made the incision - he
tried to jump, I definitely jumped
10) it would be even easier if someone else did it!!!
Rose

Back
Top Bottom