Grass Box

CliffB

Songster
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
Georgia
Kept seeing these around so i grabbed some scraps in the garage and threw one together. This is for the girls when they can't free range the yard and they are stuck in the run. I took a handful of birdseed and a handful of rye grass and threw it together in 5 minutes. Can't wait to see it start growing.

Wish we had your carpenter skills…it always takes me and DH a lot more time for even a small project….but bet he could do it alone much faster if i would just let him alone and not supervise.
big_smile.png

Well done….I have thought about doing one of those, but worry about foot injuries scratching on the wire. Most folks say it's no problems, but occasional poster does report some foot injury. Since yours already free range, they likely have tougher feet than my girls. Just watch and see, but bet they will love it.

My first box did really well. Then I decided to let them go for it. 2 hours it lasted lol 2nd box hasnt been as successful and I need to start again. But they love it. Tried a planter box with marigolds with chicken wire on top and around. Unfortunately the plants died but they would have loved it if it got to the sides so they could get it. Took the wire off the other day and they've decided its a great dusting bath.

I made a dust bath with some potting soil and DE and they've already been wearing it out. They love scratching in the pine straw looking for bird seed i've thrown out for them.

I love the idea. I have seen these boxes before and I am pretty tempted to build some. I have this area where grass doesn't grow because the chickens scratch it. I was concerned about the hardware cloth on top specially on the edges. I have been dealing with bumblefoot with my flock and it has been an ordeal. I am treating one of my hens right now with tricide neo so I am very weary about keeping things away from them that can cause an injury in their feet. So my plan is to add some batons on the edges to cover the sharp ends of the hardware cloth.

When i let them out into the run it is a pretty much immediate rush to the grass where they fight for position to eat it. I hope it continues to go this well without too many complications.

Believe me my turken are little fatties and all it takes is one of them to step on it and everyone is eating the roots.

Back
Top Bottom