** GRAZING FRAME/BOX! Salad bar for chickens! (DIY video!) **

mat2dong

Songster
7 Years
Jun 17, 2012
Hi you guys:) Yesterday I built a grazing frame for my chickens, and wouldn't you know it, I got it on video! LoL!!

The purpose in making this was to give my chickens fresh greens while they're in their pinned area! This frame allows you to grow fresh greens for them but they can only graze, they can't destroy the roots which means you will have a constant supply of greens for your girls!

I hope it is helpful, please SHARE IT:)

Also, what would be good to plant in these frames???

Thanks!

[VIDEO]

Looks like he is using plain pine boards, which rot pretty fast. I don't think you would want to use pressure treated around where the chickens are grazing. Is there any other material you could use that would stand up to the weather and not rot too fast.

The wood cost me $4.00 so I am really not worried about the frame rotting. It will be a good long time before I have to spend another $4.00:)

OK well, I found it confusing....just some constructive critique..... also didn't see how you attached the hardware cloth, but maybe I missed it.

Sorry:( Next time I will move a little slower. I don't mind constructive criticism at all:) I think your right. I just get to talking and I assume people know how to build a box and attached screen.

Sorry, I just could not wait to share:)

I attached the screen was some U shaped nails. Is there any other questions?

Love the idea! I still have to build my runs and I think I will install a few of these at the end of the runs.

Where do you get hardware cloth? I think that is what you called it. Is that just really small holed wire mesh?

Do a search on here for hardware cloth. You'll find numerous threads and places where people buy it cheaper than your local hardware store.

Looks good but I don't think the plastic will last long at all. Has anything sprouted yet:)

So far it is doing great. We'll see how it goes but so far no issues at all. The hardest part will be surviving the sun and the freezes we can get in winter time.

So much is sprouting! It's juuuuust getting tall enough to start poking through the mesh, so I'm excited! They have it figured out and can see the greens but can't reach them yet. They all pile on and peer down in there trying to figure it out. :p

no I haven't gotten the made yet. I got the porch pedistals sp?all taken apart but that's as far as I've gotten with it. It is so mega hot here right now to and I just can't handle this heat. I really need to get it in gear though so I can grow them some stuff in it. Maybe God will give us a few little thunder showers so it will cool things off and I can make a couple. I have also been canning tomatoes and canning salsa. Got 39 pints of salsa canned yesterday. So not sitting around here, just been a little busy. lol Thanx for asking.
big_smile.png

I also have updates on here if that's what you meant. I finally figured it out thanx to you. :)

Very happy to help Rose!!

Thanks for the post.  I know they will appreciate it.  I do not have carpentry skills, but this gave me an idea to do something similar.

Cool!! Please be sure to post your idea so others can get inspired to feed their chickens in this manner:)

What is your idea??

You're going to turn that over right? Grazing frames usually have the hardware cloth on the top and are just layed on the ground where the grass is already growing, not filled with dirt and planting as you suggest in the video.

TheGardenCoop.com grazing frames for your backyard chickens

If you fill that frame with dirt and plant something, they will tear up the plants and their the roots very quickly.

Looks like he is using plain pine boards, which rot pretty fast. I don't think you would want to use pressure treated around where the chickens are grazing. Is there any other material you could use that would stand up to the weather and not rot too fast.

Back
Top Bottom