Great Depression of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, I knew I'd probably missed something along the line...
I've never even been to America so I have no idea what things are like over there.

I'm interested to hear though, what do you think the solution to this mess of a schools system is? I see you mentioned homeschooling and private schools. Only a part of the population could reasonably afford to send their kids to private schools (at least these days...), and they're not the disadvantaged families who would benefit as much as, if not more than, the others from sending their children to a place where they can have a structured learning environment, get an education (even a basic one) and see what they can do with their lives. So these guys would miss out, and the only option left to them then would be homeschooling, which given the parents' backgrounds (which resulted in them not being able to provide an expensive education for their children in the first place) probably wouldn't be too much of a success, because the parents couldn't do a good job of it. If schooling weren't available to them within reason, some of them wouldn't even bother. It's not the children's fault which family they were born into, or if their parents are irresponsible! They deserve a chance just like any other child - in a constructive environment at school a child born into poverty and one who wasn't can both be very successful. Sure, it's the responsibility of the parents and the children themselves, but sometimes they can't break the cycle without a hand up - could keep that child's descendants off the dole for generations to come. But if there weren't these chances everyone in that family would be doomed to ongoing illiteracy, poverty and exploitation by the people who know they don't have any other choice. So the poor get poorer and the rich get richer and don't care. Oh wait, isn't that what it was like in a lot of places a hundred or so years ago? I think they were into the family unit back then as well, and keeping schools segregated, and not respecting other cultures or people who were different so much.

I think I vote for progress :D

...Wow, the more I write the more certain I become that I have no idea what I'm talking about. I apologise in advance again if I said something that sounded stupid, or was stupid. :p

P.S. Diversity is great, and I think tolerance can be learned! Things have changed vastly in Australia over just the past few decades. There used to be the "white Australia policy", but after that was abolished in the 70s things changed, and now there are people from many different places here, working, living and studying alongside European immigrants. I think in this aspect Australia is setting a good example. The government's been promoting multiculturalism, and there are tens of clubs at my university open to all students, welcoming them to come along and learn about the culture and people of China, India, Germany, France, and so on. At least in my circles I've come across very little racial discrimination and other cultures are usually seen as deserving of respect, interesting and making a valuable contibution to the community. There are places where things aren't so successful (e.g. some of the poorer suburbs in Sydney inhabited by immigrants or settled refugees) and some people who sadly still believe in "white Australia", but these are a minority and I hope they remain as such and will be phased out as the thinking of new generations becomes predominant here.

Last edited:
lol, I knew I'd probably missed something along the line...
I've never even been to America so I have no idea what things are like over there.

I'm interested to hear though, what do you think the solution to this mess of a schools system is? I see you mentioned homeschooling and private schools. Only a part of the population could reasonably afford to send their kids to private schools (at least these days...), and they're not the disadvantaged families who would benefit as much as, if not more than, the others from sending their children to a place where they can have a structured learning environment, get an education (even a basic one) and see what they can do with their lives. So these guys would miss out, and the only option left to them then would be homeschooling, which given the parents' backgrounds (which resulted in them not being able to provide an expensive education for their children in the first place) probably wouldn't be too much of a success, because the parents couldn't do a good job of it. If schooling weren't available to them within reason, some of them wouldn't even bother. It's not the children's fault which family they were born into, or if their parents are irresponsible! They deserve a chance just like any other child - in a constructive environment at school a child born into poverty and one who wasn't can both be very successful. Sure, it's the responsibility of the parents and the children themselves, but sometimes they can't break the cycle without a hand up - could keep that child's descendants off the dole for generations to come. But if there weren't these chances everyone in that family would be doomed to ongoing illiteracy, poverty and exploitation by the people who know they don't have any other choice. So the poor get poorer and the rich get richer and don't care. Oh wait, isn't that what it was like in a lot of places a hundred or so years ago? I think they were into the family unit back then as well, and keeping schools segregated, and not respecting other cultures or people who were different so much.

I think I vote for progress
big_smile.png

...Wow, the more I write the more certain I become that I have no idea what I'm talking about. I apologise in advance again if I said something that sounded stupid, or was stupid.
tongue.png

P.S. Diversity is great, and I think tolerance can be learned! Things have changed vastly in Australia over just the past few decades. There used to be the "white Australia policy", but after that was abolished in the 70s things changed, and now there are people from many different places here, working, living and studying alongside European immigrants. I think in this aspect Australia is setting a good example. The government's been promoting multiculturalism, and there are tens of clubs at my university open to all students, welcoming them to come along and learn about the culture and people of China, India, Germany, France, and so on. At least in my circles I've come across very little racial discrimination and other cultures are usually seen as deserving of respect, interesting and making a valuable contibution to the community. There are places where things aren't so successful (e.g. some of the poorer suburbs in Sydney inhabited by immigrants or settled refugees) and some people who sadly still believe in "white Australia", but these are a minority and I hope they remain as such and will be phased out as the thinking of new generations becomes predominant here.

Forced tolerance is not tolerance at all, but forced assimilation, which is genocide.

It is a sickening insult to sugar coat that with PC terms like 'diversity'.

Look at all the 'assimilated' Native Americans or the Aboriginals in Australia. The majority of the tribes no longer exist and if they do, their culture and way of life is gone in most instances.

My solution is not to start private schools, unless you can exclude who you want to.

I think it is extremely Anti-American to force private institutions to include others.

I have no idea why people think this is acceptable for schools.

What happened to freedom of association?

Why do those with private funding have to include others? I would not accept any children other than the well behaved and intelligent into any private school, because I do not want troublemakers around my children period! That is the whole point of a private school, to get your children away from those dragging down the public schools and shield them from the violence and decay.

Last edited:
Anyway, this thread has gone off course.

Back to The Great Depression 2016.

What do you think will send us into another Great Depression?

What place in America do you think will suffer the most?

When in 2016 do you think this will happen?

Who is going to be responsible for this occurring?

Where in America do you think some might fair better than others?

How do you intend to make it through another Great Depression?

Why do you think that another Great Depression is unavoidable?

Is there anything we can do to help stop this or otherwise prepare between now and 2016?

You are a very intelligent young person Fierlin1182, please hang on to your ideals they do you and your upbringing credit. If there is a recession in the US in 2016 they will have talked themselves into it IMO.

Anyway, this thread has gone off course.

Back to The Great Depression 2016.

What do you think will send us into another Great Depression?

What place in America do you think will suffer the most?

When in 2016 do you think this will happen?

Who is going to be responsible for this occurring?

Where in America do you think some might fair better than others?

How do you intend to make it through another Great Depression?

Why do you think that another Great Depression is unavoidable?

Is there anything we can do to help stop this or otherwise prepare between now and 2016?

Talk about a gentle nudge......

I'm not sure it will wait until 2016... honestly I think it should have happened during the "Recession" that our loving government didn't want to recognize until it was over. If it wasn't for the obscene amount of $ being pumped into the stock market and given to companies "to big to fail" I think the Depression should have started then.

Eventually there will be no place for our government to "borrow" $$$ from. Our country's credit is shot. How many times can they raise the debt ceiling? I know that you and I can't just ask for more $ if we don't have the way to repay it......

I am working on becoming smarter and more self contained. I live in a travel trailer. I am getting a slightly larger camper in a week. Pulling the bunks out and putting in a pantry/storage area. I'm looking into solar panels for down the road. I'm presently in a RV park that has a community garden for vegetables. I now have a dehydrator and found a trick for vacuum sealing if the power is gone :)

Is there anything "We the People" can do to stop the economy from a massive reset? At this point? I'm going to say no. Those in power don't seem to understand what budgeting means, they have never had $ issues..... These are the same people telling us to budget our $ and yet spend $ to help the economy..... UGH

Back to reading all of the opinions....

Talk about a gentle nudge......

I'm not sure it will wait until 2016... honestly I think it should have happened during the "Recession" that our loving government didn't want to recognize until it was over. If it wasn't for the obscene amount of $ being pumped into the stock market and given to companies "to big to fail" I think the Depression should have started then.

Eventually there will be no place for our government to "borrow" $$$ from. Our country's credit is shot. How many times can they raise the debt ceiling? I know that you and I can't just ask for more $ if we don't have the way to repay it......

I am working on becoming smarter and more self contained. I live in a travel trailer. I am getting a slightly larger camper in a week. Pulling the bunks out and putting in a pantry/storage area. I'm looking into solar panels for down the road. I'm presently in a RV park that has a community garden for vegetables. I now have a dehydrator and found a trick for vacuum sealing if the power is gone :)

Is there anything "We the People" can do to stop the economy from a massive reset? At this point? I'm going to say no. Those in power don't seem to understand what budgeting means, they have never had $ issues..... These are the same people telling us to budget our $ and yet spend $ to help the economy..... UGH

Back to reading all of the opinions....

Let it never be said that I was a soft touch. LOL!

I do not believe there is anything that can be done, other than making sure you are prepared and that those in your area are prepared if at all possible. Even establishing resources in your area, say a public victory garden, would be a step towards local security.

I think it is great that you are working towards self sufficient goals.

Several of us also have container gardens going as well. I have a few seedling lemon and lime trees that will need extra care during the winter months but will pay off down the road. If I can talk my fiance into staying in this park we are allowed to have a small shed that I can partly convert into a greenhouse.

I'm in one of the few parks set up for long term living. It's in the country, quiet and I can see ALL of the stars at night..... I love it!

The US economy is on a life support of cheap money. The recession is not over, it is only in remission. When the world decides that the US dollar is not the place to put wealth, the end is near. That will happen when the oil producers decide the price of oil will be set in another currency. When the US dollar is no longer a reserve currency, prices will sky rocket.

China just off loaded a large hunk of US debt instruments, and European investors bought it. They still have plenty more to dump.

Meanwhile, the US treasury keeps passing bonds to the Fed for new green backs. That will cause a real inflation. I am afraid we will see high unemployment and high inflation. That means a lower standard of living.

Don't buy anything with an adjustable interest rate or a balloon payment. Stock up on supplies and hide them away. Then hope and pray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom