Great Depression of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dennis, I can't get that thing to open up. That sounds like an Obama type ruling. I guess I will have to search out the article myself.

There is an excessive obsession with race now days, but that seems to be only in the US. Maybe it is just time to get over this issue, but no, some politicians can't help themselves. They just have to keep tearing the scab off of an old wound.

In other matters, I see the Chinese have spotted something with their satellites, but I doubt it is plane wreckage. If it is 78 foot by 43 foot, it is bigger than most city lots in my neighborhood. My money says it is an ice floe.

Dennis, I can't get that thing to open up. That sounds like an Obama type ruling. I guess I will have to search out the article myself.
Quote:
This of course means that protecting the porous—and increasingly violent—southern border is politically incorrect. At least that’s what the public college professor at the center of the case is working to prove and this month she got help from a sympathetic federal judge. Denise Gilman, a clinical professor at the taxpayer-funded University of Texas-Austin, is researching the “human rights impact” of erecting a barrier to protect the U.S. from terrorists, illegal immigrants, drug traffickers and other serious threats.

I never read any of the discussion in this thread besides the starter, and while I do believe this country is in a bad situation, I don't see it running to the ground. It's something that has always struck me though; we import so much stuff in but what do we export? I feel all we have here is agriculture and tourism. Nowadays almost everything is imported and the industries continue to move outside the country. I don't see how this is sustainable at all, I think we rely on our ego as a country. The people that run this county aren't as stupid as some people think, so like I said I can't really see us being run to the ground, even though I don't see how our system is sustainable. But an issue that bothers me is class separation which is continuing to get bigger and bigger. The rich keep getting richer, and the poor are getting poorer.

Another issue you brought up about lack of interest in agriculture and stuff also interested me because I see the same issue. It's not just that either, it's also trades. I don't live in a heavy agriculture area, but in my school we used to have 2 woodshops for carpentry, an electrical class, a machine shop, and a few drafting classes. When I entered high school 5 years ago all that was left was one woodshop class and a drafting class. This year the state changed the curriculum and both classes became software oriented classes. They do have votech schools, but for some reason those are highly looked down upon. Also, I'd say only 2-5% of my fellow graduates are going to school for something trade or agricultural related, which I'm actually going to Penn State for agriculture. A good 70-80% are going for something like business. For real though, what are we going to do without people to build houses and grow food? This is another act of instability in our country. It's not even like these kids are against it either, it's just our culture is against the trades now, and the schools discourage people from entering them.

People call me nuts too for wanting to move off the grid. I consider myself blessed because I'm experienced with carpentry, auto mechanics, growing food, raising animals, being self sufficient, and knowing the outdoors. I see more and more people that don't even know how to work a lawn mower, can't identify 10 plants, don't know how to light a fire. Lord, if we lost power for 10 days I swear half our population would die. But anyway, I don't anticipate an economic collapse, but if it did happen, I'm prepared. I got guns, livestock, a garden, and knowledge on how to be off the grid. It's the kind of lifestyle I plan to live no matter what, it's actually what I enjoy.

I never read any of the discussion in this thread besides the starter, and while I do believe this country is in a bad situation, I don't see it running to the ground. It's something that has always struck me though; we import so much stuff in but what do we export? I feel all we have here is agriculture and tourism. Nowadays almost everything is imported and the industries continue to move outside the country. I don't see how this is sustainable at all, I think we rely on our ego as a country. The people that run this county aren't as stupid as some people think, so like I said I can't really see us being run to the ground, even though I don't see how our system is sustainable. But an issue that bothers me is class separation which is continuing to get bigger and bigger. The rich keep getting richer, and the poor are getting poorer.

Another issue you brought up about lack of interest in agriculture and stuff also interested me because I see the same issue. It's not just that either, it's also trades. I don't live in a heavy agriculture area, but in my school we used to have 2 woodshops for carpentry, an electrical class, a machine shop, and a few drafting classes. When I entered high school 5 years ago all that was left was one woodshop class and a drafting class. This year the state changed the curriculum and both classes became software oriented classes. They do have votech schools, but for some reason those are highly looked down upon. Also, I'd say only 2-5% of my fellow graduates are going to school for something trade or agricultural related, which I'm actually going to Penn State for agriculture. A good 70-80% are going for something like business. For real though, what are we going to do without people to build houses and grow food? This is another act of instability in our country. It's not even like these kids are against it either, it's just our culture is against the trades now, and the schools discourage people from entering them.

People call me nuts too for wanting to move off the grid. I consider myself blessed because I'm experienced with carpentry, auto mechanics, growing food, raising animals, being self sufficient, and knowing the outdoors. I see more and more people that don't even know how to work a lawn mower, can't identify 10 plants, don't know how to light a fire. Lord, if we lost power for 10 days I swear half our population would die. But anyway, I don't anticipate an economic collapse, but if it did happen, I'm prepared. I got guns, livestock, a garden, and knowledge on how to be off the grid. It's the kind of lifestyle I plan to live no matter what, it's actually what I enjoy.
I'm one of the few kids left who actually knows how to run the lawnmower, how to change the oil on it, how to disassemble the carburetor and clean it when it doesn't work, and how to fix just about any random think that quits working.

When people around here find out that we might be getting some snow flurries, its like the end of the world as we know it.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I don't know why my machine wouldn't download the article. Sadly, some people are so concerned about ethnicity and race that they lose all perspective on an issue. The issue is control of the borders; it doesn't matter who or what type of people cross illegally, illegal is illegal.

The problem originated with the federal government's past inattention to the issue. While there was a crying need for immigration legislation and enforcement, the feds didn't amend or enforce the law, and now we have this problem. We have families that have parents and grandparents and uncles and aunts that are illegally in this country, and their kids are US citizens.

If the parents get sent back, who takes care of the kids? They are not legally able to enjoy the rights of Mexican citizenship such as public education and participation in the IMMS health progam. A good many don't even speak Spanish. The law of unintended consequences has kicked in.

It gets worse. The federal government still refuses to correct a problem they created. When the governor of Arizona appealed to Washington for help along the border, the Homeland Security Director, Janet Napolitano who was the former Arizona governor, sent the State about fifteen signs to be posted along highways in the southern part of the state. The signs said that the desert is a very dangerous place and that there were bandits. Stay out of the desert.

The governor wanted troops, not those stupid signs.

The federal government has abnegated control of the lower part of the state to the cartels. The feds couldn't care less about us. Well, let's see what happens when a cartel member shoots one of those protected Jaguars?

Farmer Mike S might be talking about anywhere in the western world, certainly anywhere in Europe. I remember when the technical schools were closed in the UK, and the politicians talked importantly about the need to prepare the next generations for our 'post industrial' world. How wrong they were! Since the recession they have been back peddling like mad to reverse the trend, creating more modern apprenticeships then ever. Of course we cannot survive without exporting manufactured goods and services. We cannot however compete with the mass production of the far east. We must survive by manufacturing and exporting our high end products which they cannot compete with, and which are ever in greater demand in some of the newly rich economies. The financial services industries are also important but even bankers need houses! It is quite true that a society where people can't do the simplest chores for themselves, is shaky. It is gratifying that at least some young people have the wit to see this, as the world will be theirs sooner than we think!

I see some very important banks failed their stress test. I bet the government's answer will be to change the test. Failure to admit the problem is what got us in this fix in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom