Great Depression of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

So should there be a federal minimum wage ?
Shouldn't the minimum wage be set more at the state or local level ? Is a person who works in a high cost of living state get the same benefit as a person who works in a low cost of living state ?

The federal income tax should be the same rate for all with no deductions.

A lot of what the federal government does (and controls) now should be given back to the states. Do we need someone in Washington saying how to educate kids ?

So should there be a federal minimum wage ?
Shouldn't the minimum wage be set more at the state or local level ? Is a person who works in a high cost of living state get the same benefit as a person who works in a low cost of living state ?

The federal income tax should be the same rate for all with no deductions.

A lot of what the federal government does (and controls) now should be given back to the states. Do we need someone in Washington saying how to educate kids ?

I agree that Minimum wages should be set state by state. But we have to be realistic - $15 an hour to flip burgers at McDonalds is unrealistic. If we want to be able to afford to "drive thru" for a burger and fries we should not need a bank loan to do so. As for taxes I think people under a certain income level should be exempt. I also think Social Security and retirement benefits should be exempt from taxes as well.

I agree that Minimum wages should be set state by state. But we have to be realistic - $15 an hour to flip burgers at McDonalds is unrealistic. If we want to be able to afford to "drive thru" for a burger and fries we should not need a bank loan to do so. As for taxes I think people under a certain income level should be exempt. I also think Social Security and retirement benefits should be exempt from taxes as well.
I agree with you. Less than 50% of the population pays taxes, and they are being over taxed to compensate for all the freebies given out by both the fed and states.

Quote:
So we could make it that the first $20,000 of earnings can be tax free and everyone pays 10% income tax on everything over $20,000. So if you make $50,000 a year you pay $3,000 income tax on the $30,000 of income over the base $20,000.

We also need to raise the fuel taxes. I'm tired of hearing people say we need to fix the roads and bridges with borrowed money !

So do you blame the companies for moving to stay in business, or the people that bought the products made overseas and didn't care about jobs here ?
I am not blaming anybody in particular. I was just stating a simple verifiable fact. However, the company in my small town did not move in order to stay in business. It was making a tidy profit but the owners felt they could make a bigger profit by moving the plant to Mexico so that's what they did. The product they made was sold to institutions, not to the publc. But by moving the effects on this community were large. The displaced work force found lower paying jobs, if they found jobs at all. Many of them are on food stamps. They cannot afford to go out to eat, so eateries suffer. Since they earn less (if they are able to earn anything at all) they pay fewer taxes so there is less money available for public works projects.. People here are not buying furniture, or cars, or any consumer goods they can do without. So the whole town suffers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom