Great Depression of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't but much stock in the doom and gloom of most people.
The population in 2000 was 282 million with 132 million working.
The population in 2012 was 314 million with 134 million working.
so in 12 years we added 32 million people and 2 million jobs for them. And a bigger percentage of those jobs are part time ones.
Where are you getting those numbers? Those numbers would mean we have had well over 50% unemployment rate sense well before 2000.

The unemployment rate in 2000 was 4% which is the 4th lowest drop in recorded history making it number 7 in a list of years over the last 100 based on unemployment rates. (Probably number 1 outside of war.)

2012 was at 8.1% which would make it the 5th worst year sense the great depression I think. Bad but not far outside normal changes..

We have had much worse drops an came back. In 1968 it was 3.6% an by 1982 we were at 9.6% an crawled back.

As we are now. we are at 6.2% which has us back in what economists call our "full-employment" normal rate of 4 to 6.4%....

I am in the middle on nowhere, where shortages in jobs are normal an I dont know any healthy adult that wants a full time job but cant find one right now.

Quote: https://www.google.com/search?q=u.s...la:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/dbdown?...er+data+requests.+Thank+you+for+using+LABSTAT.

The second link appears to be down for the weekend, but it says what I said it says. You may have to wait until Tuesday to see it.

You need to understand that they count the unemployment rate as the number of people that want to work but cant find work. So if you haven't been looking for a job then you're not counted. The participation rate is the people with jobs or are looking for a job. That number is down to about 65% of the people old enough to work and those not yet retired.

Unemployment rates really don't tell you how much of the population are working.

I agree that the unemployment numbers are NOT correct.

Hubby is STILL looking for work. His UE ran out in Jan and jobs are HARD to get. Too many places around here got several position, two new grocery stores, bam.....so many people came out to apply for jobs...well over 500 and counting, including our university and community college students.

When you are out of the UE status, you are not counted. I would love to see our income taxes being filed next few years to get the real numbers that are unemployed and part timers.

Last edited:
Again, I ask does anyone know of someone that actually got a real job? Not a make work job or a political sinecure, but a real job making, selling, servicing something.

Unemployment figures are manipulated for political purposes, but eventually, the ugly truth comes out. They cannot lie this economic depression away; eventually people will see it for what it is.

The amount of people dependent upon the social welfare safety net is eventually going to bankrupt us. Those of us that actually produce and pay taxes can no longer shoulder this burden.

My fear is that the government will seize IRA's and retirement accounts and force us all to buy government bonds; where have we seen this before?

Argentina did just that in 2008. Did they mend their ways? No, they continued on the path to the social welfare state. They have now defaulted on their debt for the third time.

Poland did the same in 2013. Cyprus stole ten per cent of all bank accounts. Now, consider this: http://www.infowars.com/government-...nfiscate-your-401k-and-ira-this-is-happening/

It seems that this system would take retirement funds into a federal bond program. Then the payout would be equalized so that those that never "got a chance to save" would be able to draw out funds equally with those that did have a chance to save.

In my considered opinion, it sucks!

In the Soviet Union, they forced people to buy government bonds for their retirement. The bonds couldn't be sold, traded or cashed in. When they became due, they could only be traded for more government bonds that couldn't be sold, traded or cashed in. Eventually, those bonds were made worthless by inflation.

Your best friend may be your mattress.

Again, I ask does anyone know of someone that actually got a real job? Not a make work job or a political sinecure, but a real job making, selling, servicing something.

Unemployment figures are manipulated for political purposes, but eventually, the ugly truth comes out. They cannot lie this economic depression away; eventually people will see it for what it is.

The amount of people dependent upon the social welfare safety net is eventually going to bankrupt us. Those of us that actually produce and pay taxes can no longer shoulder this burden.

My fear is that the government will seize IRA's and retirement accounts and force us all to buy government bonds; where have we seen this before?

Argentina did just that in 2008. Did they mend their ways? No, they continued on the path to the social welfare state. They have now defaulted on their debt for the third time.

Poland did the same in 2013. Cyprus stole ten per cent of all bank accounts. Now, consider this: http://www.infowars.com/government-...nfiscate-your-401k-and-ira-this-is-happening/

It seems that this system would take retirement funds into a federal bond program. Then the payout would be equalized so that those that never "got a chance to save" would be able to draw out funds equally with those that did have a chance to save.

In my considered opinion, it sucks!

In the Soviet Union, they forced people to buy government bonds for their retirement. The bonds couldn't be sold, traded or cashed in. When they became due, they could only be traded for more government bonds that couldn't be sold, traded or cashed in. Eventually, those bonds were made worthless by inflation.

Your best friend may be your mattress.

In the last few months there has been a new Hobby Lobby and a Tractor supply store, and 3 new restaurants. There has also been an expansion of a solar power company, from phone people to installers. They came up short of the number of people they want to hire for installing, because there wasn't enough people qualified. there were plenty of people that had the schooling to design systems, but not enough that knew how to get on a roof safely and turn a wrench or use a hammer. There is also a valve manufacturer in town that has trouble finding machine operators for their expansion.

The government has nothing to do with all these new jobs here but there are a lot of them.

I asked around today. The one person I know that does not have a job but "is looking" admitted to me that he turns down 2 or 3 a week cause he refuses to work second shift. The one I know working part time said everyone starts out part time there for an evaluation period an then they get hired on full time..

I cant keep up with who is building here. VW is the big one but KW built a new shop this year. There was a wind turbine company going up somewhere down town. An ammo factory on the Alabama side I hear also. That one we can attribute to the government...

hey, rufus. I normally just read and I don't try to get involved but I just wanted to break from that briefly to talk. you say that,

Quote: I have seen this comment before. Quite a bit, actually. And I am just wondering if there is real evidence that the current administration is calculating economic gains in a different way than we have seen before. Now, I'm not saying you are wrong, I am just asking if the way we calculate the numbers now is different/same than the way it has been counted in the past.

and lastly, and I am not trying to be petty or anything.. but depression is a pretty strong word. we haven't even been in a recession for several years. depression is even worse. recovery is slow, I know.. but we aren't in a depression or anything

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom