Great Depression of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've known plenty of people who were looking for jobs, couldn't find one, and simply gave up... They decided it was easier to live off the never-ending benefits than continue the depressing search for rejections.

But I can understand their outlook, especially when the AVERAGE age of the American minimum wage employee is creeping up to 35 and it's easier to get into an Ivy League school than it is to get hired at McDonald's. 'Murica!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/10/upshot/minimum-wage.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=0
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-05-12/getting-job-mcdonalds-harder-getting-accepted-ivy-league

Happy Wednesday, everyone. :)

MrsB
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kathryn...gh-demand-that-dont-require-a-college-degree/

I really appreciate your input on that. I actually went to look for a new, totally different job in my area based on your list and I found that each listing requires a minimum of three to five years experience in the field (which I lack, unfortunately) with no "entry level" positions open at this time.

Fortunately, I make an hourly wage comparable to the window dresser, so I think I'll keep what I'm working with. :)

Many people in my position find themselves overqualified and underpaid for whatever it is they're doing... and it's difficult to "jump into something new," since that "something new" often requires that you have done it for a few years to meet requirements for applying.

Very sad.

MrsB

Last edited:
That is a good example of what can happen if one is lucky. But unfortunately, there are only so many of that type of job.

What good does it do to train people for jobs that don't exist? We now see almost everything made overseas. Even our X rays get read in India or the Philippines.

High degrees of employment require an industrialized economy. Until we figure out how to re industrialize our nation, we are stuck being a client state of China or India. Our capital and technology is being drained away.

Things will not turn around until our society realizes that the business of America is business. We have to make sure that our corporations are US owned corporations and that they need to make money to provide employment. The hostility of government and unions toward industry has to cease.

Frankly, I do not see that happening in my life time.

Trade jobs will never go anywhere. You cant call china to get your plumbing fixed. People dont want to get their hands dirty though.

Most trade jobs here are done by immigrants now. We are currently awaiting our tree trimmers, who are Indians from the Isthmus of Tehuantepec.

I can't afford to hire US born people. They want a fortune to do the job, and if any thing happens, they will sue the dickens out of me. Then they worry about permits that can be a nightmare to acquire.

The city cites us for having tree limbs growing over the back wall, then they want us to get permits to remove the offending limbs.

It is cheaper and easier to pay the illegals to do the job. Sorry, but that is the way it is.

I never liked plumbing, but I did it and still do it sometimes. But I don't really like it. But I don't like digging ditches even more.

Fresh water is a lot nicer than not so fresh water. Plastic pipe makes it so much easier. Not much get done by code around here.

Most trade jobs here are done by immigrants now. We are currently awaiting our tree trimmers, who are Indians from the Isthmus of Tehuantepec.

I can't afford to hire US born people. They want a fortune to do the job, and if any thing happens, they will sue the dickens out of me. Then they worry about permits that can be a nightmare to acquire.

The city cites us for having tree limbs growing over the back wall, then they want us to get permits to remove the offending limbs.

It is cheaper and easier to pay the illegals to do the job. Sorry, but that is the way it is.

When your employer gets rid of you because he found cheaper labor to replace you, understand that's just way it is. You'll just have to embrace the reality of descending wages, unemployment, and deteriorating job conditions without one snivel.

I've known plenty of people who were looking for jobs, couldn't find one, and simply gave up... They decided it was easier to live off the never-ending benefits than continue the depressing search for rejections.

But I can understand their outlook, especially when the AVERAGE age of the American minimum wage employee is creeping up to 35 and it's easier to get into an Ivy League school than it is to get hired at McDonald's. 'Murica!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/10/upshot/minimum-wage.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=0
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-05-12/getting-job-mcdonalds-harder-getting-accepted-ivy-league

Happy Wednesday, everyone. :)

MrsB

Mrs Brooke, 3 years and 4 months ago a Taco Bell restaurant was built and opened in a town 8 miles north of us. There was originally 60 employees hired and as time went on many decided they didn't like the job,or wasn't getting enough hours so they quit. Keep in mind this restaurant was built in a town with a population of 5400. My daughter was hired at the start. She was at that time driving back and forth 4 days a week,80 miles a day going to a local community college. Now she has completed her first year at ISU with 3 more to go,but has kept her part time Taco Bell job and comes home every weekend and thru the summer to work to help pay her expenses.

Out of everyone initially hired my daughter is now the only employee that has been there from start to finish. Even the original manager was let go with 2 more since they opened being put in charge. My daughter has yet to get evenj a 10 cent an hour raise in her 3 years of working there. She has trained so many people for jobs there,that only lasts maybe a month she is sick of each weekend coming home to go to work. She is always assigned to the drive up window because she is the only one that doesn't mess up customers orders.

This place is a goldmine but it's easy for me to see why noone wants to work. No benefits whatsoever yet they still don't give raises. I see that Wal-Mart is now advertising they will spend $1 billion dollars in raising employees wages.Last I knew 1.3 million people in 5000 USA stores. This equates to $769 per employee and after taxes maybe $600. A whopping 30 cents more per hour based on a 2000 hour work year. Illinois minumum wage is now $8.25 an hour. Considering we now work about 115 days before we are tax free, and there is 260 work days a year based on 5 days per 52 week year gives us 145 days of money making and at 8.25 an hour gives us less than $10,000. There is no "middle class" anymore,only the rich and working poor class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom