Great Depression of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eaton Corp. in WI. A battery manufacturer in Rockford IL, I don't remember the name of that one. Quite a few more over the years. Most factories now run on just in time so they aren't warehousing parts.

It seems like the trend is to not keep a lot of inventory now days. They order the merchandise and have it dropped shipped to the customer. They don't like having their capital tied up in stock.

I still feel more comfortable having a good supply of food stuffs and household needs on hand. If the trucks stop rolling, we may have to eat some things we really don't like.

Hopefully, it will not come to that. I have some neighbors that shoot the local pigeons and eat them.

It seems like the trend is to not keep a lot of inventory now days. They order the merchandise and have it dropped shipped to the customer. They don't like having their capital tied up in stock.

I still feel more comfortable having a good supply of food stuffs and household needs on hand. If the trucks stop rolling, we may have to eat some things we really don't like.

Hopefully, it will not come to that. I have some neighbors that shoot the local pigeons and eat them.
You are still ignoring the fact that the trucks wont stop rolling on any kind of large scale.

You are still ignoring the fact that the trucks wont stop rolling on any kind of large scale.

I believe it would take very little for the trucks to stop rolling. No electric, no fuel pumps to get the diesel or of underground tanks. No internet, no way to inventory or run distribution. I've been shocked at how little it takes to disrupt many people lives. A two hour period of a cellular network being down totally freaked people I work with. The card scanners on the soda machines seem to run on the wireless network. I watched a guy scan his career over and over with no results. I walked over and inserted metal trinkets or of my picket and he was amazed I could buy one.

Many people have become so accustomed to convenience and buying as they need, supply can run short quickly. Those of us who grew up in areas where being cut off from stores and towns for a week at a time understand keeping at least some supplies on hand, but much of society has never really had that experience.

While life would not so, it would change, and many are not comfortable with change and adapting to situations on the fly. It is assumed things will be as they are and many don't have a backup plan, or a backup backup.

I'm not doom and gloom, I just believe in being prepared to adapt to change that may occur unexpectedly. Witness the run on stores for milk, eggs, water, batteries, bread whenever a snowstorm/hurricane/flood/pick your "disaster" is expected.

One year on Christmas we had a snowstorm, it was relatively large for our area. The following day the papers reported all the people who couldn't get to grandmas house five miles away. I spent the day traveling 400 miles to pick someone up at an airport a state away, no issues because I was prepared with multiple plans.

I've Been stranded in snowstorms, isolated by floods, been without power, has major injuries when it alone. They are all survivable with adaptation and preparation. r

Last edited:
most truckers have cash on hand to buy fuel.
That is not actually true anymore. Truck drivers only carry enough cash for tolls now. About $100.. The large truck stops require cards to turn the pumps on an you pay for all your fuel at the end of the month when they send you a bill. Its just like a credit card but has to be payed in full at the end of the month every month. You can still go in a pay in cash but I have not seen anyone do it in a long time. Even if they did want to carry cash for fuel, we are talking about $400 a day. None of the truck drivers I know carry enough cash for even one days worth of fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom