green and yellow poop, two chickens sick others are not far behind

ktboy

Hatching
Nov 27, 2023
I have 7 barred rock chicken 10 months old 6 hens one rooster. the hens were or have been laying. I two days ago wormed them all with safeguard for 5 days because a couple of them were acting like they were having some issues and it had been 6 months since lat worming. One hen has gone through alot since we got her as chick, including coccidiosis. I treated all of the chickens twice with amphile and thought by they actions and all laying eggs were clear of it. Now the one hen has had sour crop twice, the second time it went to impacted crop again thought I had gotten her clear of that. unfortunately this last time(prior to deworming) she started looking like she had gone broody (its November), goes into her nest and unless I bring her out does not eat just sits there clucking,(again likes she gone broody). its been two days since the last worming, now I have a second hed not wanting to come out to eat, eats very little, and then goes back in coop. Again two days since deworming and I now have three including with poopy but green and yellow, with yellow being runny, and green a little more solid. plz help if you can.

I suggest treating your flock for cocciciosis. Is you coccidiostat a liquid? If so, give a drench dose to the sick chickens in addition to the drinking water solution. This is safe to do even though you've just wormed the flock.

I suggest treating your flock for cocciciosis. Is you coccidiostat a liquid? If so, give a drench dose to the sick chickens in addition to the drinking water solution. This is safe to do even though you've just wormed the flock.
this would the third time I treat them since I got them in march, how can they continue to get this so often? And its not like I don't believe what you say, just seems odd to happen so many times? have been using a powered amprile for
cocciciosis

in the past I have treated tem twice for that, it seems odd they would have it yet a third time since march?

Most often, after a bout of coccidiosis, the chickens develop resistance to that strain of coccidia. However, the right weather and soil conditions can cause a coccidia "bloom" and that can cause the chickens to be overwhelmed by them, especially if the chickens mostly free range all day. This is in spite of resistance.

Another way chickens get coccidiosis is if a new strain (nine in all that target chickens) gets introduced into their environment. Two years ago, after many years of not having to deal with this parasite, my chickens became ill, and they were spending most of the time in their run. It was easy to figure out what caused it. I had just installed new sand in their run the week before. The local gravel yard has numerous sources for their sand, so it was an easy call that a strain of coccidia my chickens had never encountered was also imported. And the sand was wet and the weather was warm. A perfect storm of conditions.

Coccidia can be brought in on borrowed or returned gardening implements, imported top soil, new plants bought and planted in the garden, and even on the soles of your footwear. Therefore, it's not a sure thing that once your chickens have a bout of coccidiosis that they are then set for life.

It's so easy to treat that it's the first thing we try when we discover more than one chicken suddenly coming down sick with lethargy and diarrhea. It's also a good practice to worm at the same time as the symptoms from coccidia and worms are very similar, and it is safe to do so and quickly rules out two common causes of illness in a flock and we can move on to other treatments should these measures fail to provide improvement.

Back
Top Bottom