Green diarrhea, not eating or drinking

MellisaF

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 9, 2013
I have a partridge rock that has recently for the past week had green diarrhea. She seems to be refusing to eat or drink. She mostly lays in the coop or finds a bushy area to lay. Her comb and wattles are still bright red. When you look at her face, she does not look sickly at all, still very bright-eyed and alert. I picked her up and she seems to be having some wasting as her breastbone is protruding significantly. She almost seems a little bloated? in her lower abdominal area. I'm not sure what is going on with her and haven't had much luck finding anything online about similar issues.

Some possible problems could be internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis, or ascites (fluid in the abdomen) which can be related to liver failure, EYP, or heart failure. A vet could be of assistance in diagnosis if that is possible. If you Google egg yolk peritonitis or do a search at the top of this page, you will find some good articles and threads to read.

I've had a similar thing happen with several of my hens and I hate to say it, but they were all at the end of their life. Hens pretend for as long as they can that they are ok, so they are not attacked by the others. This includes pretending to eat when in fact they are starving. The green poo/diarrhoea is a symptom of starvation and is bile coming from the liver. She may pick up a little if you feed her scrambled egg and chick crumbs and keep her under heat.I find that when they are old and become this way they find it impossible to eat/digest grain. I could have kicked myself when this happened to a couple of my hens as I didn't realise they were dying. Now I regularly handle all my hens and feel their chest(for weight loss) and check their bums for mess. They also had their tails down, which is a sign of illness.They may also have a very swollen stomach which is fluid do to organ failure. How old is the hen? She may unfortunately just be at the end of her natural life like mine were.

Back
Top Bottom