green jungle fowl!!!!

Junggle fowl / Gallus varius, many in my place. Gallus varius from the island of Java

Last edited:
I'm a newbie in raising chickens ... no experience at all before .. but some months ago i tried to raise a pair of green jungle fowl baby chickens ... and here they are now :

Last edited:
I'm a newbie in raising chickens ... no experience at all before .. but some months ago i tried to raise a pair of green jungle fowl baby chickens ... and here they are now :

I raise both green and grey jungle fowl and I am not trying to be mean but I hope this is not the cage that you are keeping these birds in, it is way too small for one bird let alone the pair. These birds need at least 100 to 125 square feet per pair to be kept long term. In a small cage like this the birds are so stressed out the as they get older you are going to see feather loss, aggression, especially the rooster to the hen and they will stop eating and just go down hill. My newest pair was in quarantine for only 3 weeks in a small pen that is 6 X 3 X 3 ft and he beat the female up so badly that I had to separate them and the hen still has scars on her back and is missing feathers on her breast and base of the tail.

The long term diet of both species is also very different then a chicken or pheasant, they are insect eaters that supplement the main diet with greens and seeds so they need a crumble or pellet that has at least 20% protein and to this add meal worms or crickets. I change my food grains in the middle of the day, my birds tend to stop eating if the food sits around for too long, I am not sure if this is normal of not but changing the grain in the middle of the day they will feed again in the late afternoon while if I don't they wont eat again after the morning feeding.

As mentioned they need heat and can't take the cold very well, my barns are heated using several reptile heating lamps on a thermostat, if the temps get below 40 outside the barn the lamps come on and stay on until the temps rise again. I have digital thermometers in the barn with memory and the coldest it gets in the greens side of the pen is about 60 degrees, the grey jungle fowl also have heat but they can take much lower temps. Also mentioned is the fact they these birds are so shy and flighty that they need lots of places to feel secure and hidden, they also have perches that are about 6 ft (the barns are 8 ft tall) and they almost always perch on the top levels. Outside they have perches at all levels and it runs through live bamboo plants at several spots so they can get up and out of site if they want to. They can fly as well as any other type of pheasant, not at all like a chicken, so they must be covered at all times.

Breeding is like other jungle fowl but they are not very prolific, my grey jungle fowl usually give me 6 to 10 eggs a season but they are F1's (all 4 parents were wild birds), I also have two other blood lines, one from zoo stock and the other from Elton Housley and they produce slightly higher amounts of eggs. Last year I had another pair and between the 5 pairs I got 49 eggs. from June to October. The greens have not produced any eggs yet but from everything I have read and been told they produce less the the greys normally.

Hope this was helpful, these are not at all like either chickens or pheasants and are not a good "pet" birds, they are more high strung and flighty then any other species of pheasant I have ever kept.

This is how Green Junglefowl are kept in Indonesia. We may not like it but this is how it's been done for centuries. The most important thing to stress here is correct diet. Lots of fresh shrimp in the shell and over ripe fruit like mangosteen and durian are more advisable. Moving them into a much larger cage is also recommended - keep them on thatch instead of right on the dirt- but making a large rattan cage- large enough for two young boys to stand up and play in is recommended. It's something we wish that we didn't see, the practice of keeping wild species in cages marginally sufficient for very small domestic species. Perhaps your generation will transform this problem and provide more ethical management

I'm sorry -and apologise for my Indonesian in advance. I love your country and your culture having traveled and studied there many times. The green junglefowl is a species I have studied at length in the wild.

Ini adalah bagaimana Hijau Junglefowl disimpan di Indonesia. Kita mungkin tidak menyukainya tapi ini adalah bagaimana hal itu telah dilakukan selama berabad-abad. Yang paling penting untuk menekankan di sini adalah pola makan yang benar. Banyak udang segar di shell dan lebih matang seperti buah manggis dan durian lebih dianjurkan. Memindahkan mereka ke dalam kandang yang jauh lebih besar juga dianjurkan - menjaga mereka di ilalang bukan kanan pada kotoran-tetapi membuat rotan besar kandang-besar cukup untuk dua anak laki-laki untuk berdiri dan bermain di dianjurkan. Ini sesuatu yang kita berharap bahwa kita tidak melihat, praktek menjaga spesies liar di kandang sedikit cukup untuk spesies dalam negeri sangat kecil. Mungkin generasi Anda akan mengubah masalah ini dan menyediakan manajemen yang lebih etis

Maaf-dan meminta maaf atas bahasa Indonesia saya di muka. Saya mencintai negara dan budaya Anda setelah melakukan perjalanan dan belajar di sana berkali-kali. Para junglefowl hijau adalah spesies Saya telah mempelajari secara panjang lebar di alam

Resolution,

Woow .. good Indonesian ... Thank you for informing to other peoples -- especially in the US -- how people in our country treating green jungle fowls for centuries ... and you're absolutely right ..

I'm just a newbie in raising chickens and just following what others doing ... Whether its right or wrong i just want to keep them alive ...

For green jungle fowls captured from jungles, small cages usually are used to threat them so they do not hurt themselves. Believe me they are very very wild ... and prefer sacrificing their lives instead of seeing our face, lol.

Seems to be a cruel thing and unfair for them ... but believe me, they're much more secure there -- in a cage -- instead of living in the jungle and hunted by crazy peoples and end their lives in frying pan ....

my jungle fowls are familiar with my family members and they feel comfort to be among us .. but they can smell strangers even if they're tens meter away and begin to be panic ....

I love them and plan to move them in wider cage, and hope that i can see them flying, lol ....

The male ever run away from the cage accidentally when the cage was opened .... and i called him to come back ... and believe me ... after a couple of minutes he came back. Maybe he's hungry and nobody but me offering food ...lol .... home sweet home ..... lol ...

Anyway, you're obviously a green jungle fowls guru here ... and i appreciated your advices ...

Last edited:
Resolution,

Woow .. good Indonesian ... Thank you for informing to other peoples -- especially in the US -- how people in our country treating green jungle fowls for centuries ... and you're absolutely right ..

I'm just a newbie in raising chickens and just following what others doing ... Whether its right or wrong i just want to keep them alive ...

For green jungle fowls captured from jungles, small cages usually are used to threat them so they do not hurt themselves. Believe me they are very very wild ... and prefer sacrificing their lives instead of seeing our face, lol.

Seems to be a cruel thing and unfair for them ... but believe me, they're much more secure there -- in a cage -- instead of living in the jungle and hunted by crazy peoples and end their lives in frying pan ....

my jungle fowls are familiar with my family members and they feel comfort to be among us .. but they can smell strangers even if they're tens meter away and begin to be panic ....

I love them and plan to move them in wider cage, and hope that i can see them flying, lol ....

The male ever run away from the cage accidentally when the cage was opened .... and i called him to come back ... and believe me ... after a couple of minutes he came back. Maybe he's hungry and nobody but me offering food ...lol .... home sweet home ..... lol ...

Anyway, you're obviously a green jungle fowls guru here ... and i appreciated your advices ...

Just because people keep them that way doesn't make it the best way, I have traveled all over the world, I worked most of my life collecting animals for scientific and both public zoos and private collections and I have seen things that would make people sick as to how they treat animals in captivity. In the 90's I spent 3 years all over Indonesia and South East Asia and I have seen things like monkeys chained to a stand or snakes tied to a stick and stored under the floorboards until they were ready to be packed and shipped, I have also seen hundreds of jungle fowl and hybrid jungle fowl tied to stakes with a wicker basket over them for shade and shelter, this does not mean it is the best way to keep the animals even though they are cared for and fed, just because this is the way people have kept them for generations in my opinion it is not the best way to keep them. Besides, I would think that even my jungle fowl would rather be in the wild with people and other animals hunting them then in my cages if given the choice.

I know you are doing what others do and seeing the success of their birds you feel you are keeping them correctly, and as you mention, I do hope you move them to a flight pen where they can have space to fly, but in the mean time it is unfair to the birds in my opinion. Just because they can survive that way doesn't mean it is the way it should be done. I am not trying to condemn other countries or people for how they treat wildlife of any sort, and if you are successful in keeping the birds I am happy for you even if I disagree with how you keep them, my point is this is not the best way for the animals and I have had very bad experiences with keeping this species (and others for that matter) under conditions that stress them, and keeping a bird the size of a chicken in a wire cage is not something that calms the birds down, they just get used to it.

thank you, you're right. They're not and maybe would never be good pets. They are extremely wild even if they're hatched from eggs in an incubator. Although they're familiar with the raiser, a single shock would make them flying like jets ... and then they stop eating for ... a couple of hours, lol.

I live at the same island where the green jungle fowls come from. So we are about to share the same air temperature and maybe humidity . Here, almost all people interested to green jungle fowls try to make them good pets. Kind of 'mission impossible' i think but they have done and proved it worked. Thats why the bekisar exist .... I think "RESOLUTION" can explain what i can't explain ... i'm just a newbie .. and most of all, he ever been here -- In Indonesia -- for a long time ...

Although i agree with you to let them live as they should, its a fact that people can make them good pets by placing them in narrow cages and forced the males to live solitary for some periods of times. But don't worry, soon i will move that only pair to wider place .... because i love them so, and i want to make them happy, i dont even care they would be good pets or not ... but i want them to live as they should ...

Quote:
I raise both green and grey jungle fowl and I am not trying to be mean but I hope this is not the cage that you are keeping these birds in, it is way too small for one bird let alone the pair. These birds need at least 100 to 125 square feet per pair to be kept long term. In a small cage like this the birds are so stressed out the as they get older you are going to see feather loss, aggression, especially the rooster to the hen and they will stop eating and just go down hill. My newest pair was in quarantine for only 3 weeks in a small pen that is 6 X 3 X 3 ft and he beat the female up so badly that I had to separate them and the hen still has scars on her back and is missing feathers on her breast and base of the tail.

The long term diet of both species is also very different then a chicken or pheasant, they are insect eaters that supplement the main diet with greens and seeds so they need a crumble or pellet that has at least 20% protein and to this add meal worms or crickets. I change my food grains in the middle of the day, my birds tend to stop eating if the food sits around for too long, I am not sure if this is normal of not but changing the grain in the middle of the day they will feed again in the late afternoon while if I don't they wont eat again after the morning feeding.

As mentioned they need heat and can't take the cold very well, my barns are heated using several reptile heating lamps on a thermostat, if the temps get below 40 outside the barn the lamps come on and stay on until the temps rise again. I have digital thermometers in the barn with memory and the coldest it gets in the greens side of the pen is about 60 degrees, the grey jungle fowl also have heat but they can take much lower temps. Also mentioned is the fact they these birds are so shy and flighty that they need lots of places to feel secure and hidden, they also have perches that are about 6 ft (the barns are 8 ft tall) and they almost always perch on the top levels. Outside they have perches at all levels and it runs through live bamboo plants at several spots so they can get up and out of site if they want to. They can fly as well as any other type of pheasant, not at all like a chicken, so they must be covered at all times.

Breeding is like other jungle fowl but they are not very prolific, my grey jungle fowl usually give me 6 to 10 eggs a season but they are F1's (all 4 parents were wild birds), I also have two other blood lines, one from zoo stock and the other from Elton Housley and they produce slightly higher amounts of eggs. Last year I had another pair and between the 5 pairs I got 49 eggs. from June to October. The greens have not produced any eggs yet but from everything I have read and been told they produce less the the greys normally.

Hope this was helpful, these are not at all like either chickens or pheasants and are not a good "pet" birds, they are more high strung and flighty then any other species of pheasant I have ever kept.

D.gif
i have experience with jungle fowl. i want to buy some.

I saw your post, and was very pleased to see that you have Ceylon Jungle fowl. I have Red Jungle fowl, and am in the process of acquiring a pair of gray jungle fowl. I am a long time poultry enthusiastist. Do you have any Ceylons for sale. ( Adults, chicks, or eggs) I am now retired age 66, and only keep a few bantams, Old English, and seramas. I am planning on raiseing some jungle fowl for preservation and to distribute to people who would prize them and keep them well. Please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom