green jungle fowl!!!!

I raise both green and grey jungle fowl and I am not trying to be mean but I hope this is not the cage that you are keeping these birds in, it is way too small for one bird let alone the pair.  These birds need at least 100 to 125 square feet per pair to be kept long term.  In a small cage like this the birds are so stressed out the as they get older you are going to see feather loss, aggression, especially the rooster to the hen and they will stop eating and just go down hill.  My newest pair was in quarantine for only 3 weeks in a small pen that is 6 X 3 X 3 ft and he beat the female up so badly that I had to separate them and the hen still has scars on her back and is missing feathers on her breast and base of the tail.

The long term diet of both species is also very different then a chicken or pheasant, they are insect eaters that supplement the main diet with greens and seeds so they need a crumble or pellet that has at least 20% protein and to this add meal worms or crickets.  I change my food grains in the middle of the day, my birds tend to stop eating if the food sits around for too long, I am not sure if this is normal of not but changing the grain in the middle of the day they will feed again in the late afternoon while if I don't they wont eat again after the morning feeding.  

As mentioned they need heat and can't take the cold very well, my barns are heated using several reptile heating lamps on a thermostat, if the temps get below 40 outside the barn the lamps come on and stay on until the temps rise again.  I have digital thermometers in the barn with memory and the coldest it gets in the greens side of the pen is about 60 degrees, the grey jungle fowl also have heat but they can take much lower temps.  Also mentioned is  the fact they these birds are so shy and flighty that they need lots of places to feel secure and hidden, they also have perches that are about 6 ft (the barns are 8 ft tall) and they almost always perch on the top levels. Outside they have perches at all levels and it runs through live bamboo plants at several spots so they can get up and out of site if they want to.  They can fly as well as any other type of pheasant, not at all like a chicken, so they must be covered at all times.

Breeding is like other jungle fowl but they are not very prolific, my grey jungle fowl usually give me 6 to 10 eggs a season but they are F1's (all 4 parents were wild birds), I also have two other blood lines, one from zoo stock and the other from Elton Housley and they produce slightly higher amounts of eggs.  Last year I had another pair and between the 5 pairs I got 49 eggs. from June to October.  The greens have not produced any eggs yet but from everything I have read and been told they produce less the the greys normally.

Hope this was helpful, these are not at all like either chickens or pheasants and are not a good "pet" birds, they are more high strung and flighty then any other species of pheasant I have ever kept.
Would you sell them? Do you have anymore to sell?

What type (and size) of housing do people use for their Green Junglefowl? What proximity are they to your other chickens and what do you do for biosecurity? I've been trying to plan out housing and how to prevent transferring diseases to the Green Jubglefowl. From what I've read your healthy chickens may be immune to diseases carried by all/most domestic chickens which are deadly to Green Junglefowl. Is this threat overblown? The article I read referred to bacterial pneumonia and mycoplasmas (I wasn't sure if they were referring to one of the three mycoplasmas or some unnamed mycoplasma that all domestic fowl carry and are immune to so it is never mentioned. I was a bit confused as to what they were referring to. Anyhow, I'm assuming that most people who keep Green Junglefowl also have chickens so keeping both must be possible, right?

First they need a dry pen , a wet /damp pen is a disaster, they are susceptible to respiratory infection, they also need some heat in the winter time if your in a northern climate keep the adults away from domestic chickens the chicks are highly susceptible to coccidiosis

First they need a dry pen , a wet /damp pen is a disaster, they are susceptible to respiratory infection, they also need some heat in the winter time if your in a northern climate keep the adults away from domestic chickens the chicks are highly susceptible to coccidiosis

What's their minimum temperature as adults? I plan on insulating and heating their enclosure but it would help to know exactly how tropical they are. I'd hate to try and maintain 80F if they are perfectly happy down to 50F.

You should be ok what gets them is the extended cold i would lock mine up a night in the building when it would get below freezing then let them out during the day , it usually dont stay below freezing here all day or multiple days

You should be ok what gets them is the extended cold i would lock mine up a night in the building when it would get below freezing then let them out during the day , it usually dont stay below freezing here all day or multiple days

Maybe if the enclosure is closed and insulated during the winter I can just give the birds an area with a few ceramic heat emitter bulbs to warm up by. That's all I use for heat in my chick brooders in my unheated shed and it isn't even insulated (but the brooders help hold in the heat).

I also live in Tn, the habitat isn't the problem for me it's trying to find a supply of the fowl, seems like they are hard to get either for lack of supply or fear of over populating the high demand market price. If you want to preserve a strain isn't it better to get them to as many dedidicated to the same cause as possible? I my self would be interested in raising all four strains just can't seem to find them available. If anyone has any young chicks or juvenile pairs they want to sell contact me please, I would like to talk to you. I want them for preservation purposes only, and will raise some get the population increased here in east Tn.

Back
Top Bottom