green jungle fowl!!!!

Hello there, I'm new too the forum but, saw your post. I have breed junglefowl among other pheasant species for years. I have Red junglefowl, Grey Junglefowl, and Ceylon junglefowl and plan on adding the Green junglefowl soon. Green junglefowl will go for $500 a pair and up. Depends on the breeder. I know of only a few people here in the states that breed them.
Have you ever raised any kind of junglefowl. The reason I ask is that the green junglefowl are not for beginingers. They are very hard to raise.
I hope I've helped you out in some way.

Thanks,
Saul Villagrana
Villagrana Aviary
http://www.villagranaaviary.zoomshare.com
have u cyelone jungle fowl and red jungle fowl, i want to purchase a [air, i am from Pakistan

I just got a pair! I had to scramble a bit because they came a day earlier than expected and I was still building a new quarantine cage with a padded ceiling so they wouldn’t hurt themselves as they tend to launch skyward when startled. I was amazed at how calm this pair was as they were in the garage while I finished up. Then, amazingly, this pair has been far more calm than any other Junglefowl that I’ve had. I don’t think the padded ceiling was even necessary (but can’t hurt).

E2734742-BC39-4BA8-815F-39D3FC74EB6B.jpeg
A989539F-28E4-47E3-820B-BF5A405DA7FE.jpeg

I had a question about artificial lighting. In the past I used artificial lighting to extend the day length on my regular domestic chickens to start them laying in late winter. My Green Jungle Fowl are kept indoors so they are dependent on artificial lighting (there’s a window on the building but the light would be inadequate). Anyhow, I already had a timer attached that ran a 16 hour day and I just left it that way since my birds aren’t breeding age yet and a longer day normally would be good for getting good growth from young birds. Anyhow, I ended up googling the seasonal day length of Bali, Indonesia (part of their natural range) and found that right there so close to the equator the annual day length only varies by an hour with the shortest day being 11.5 hours and the longest day being only 12.5 hours. So...I was thinking that I’d be better off adjusting their lighting to 12.5 hours and perhaps my Grey Jungle Fowl would prefer...something else...maybe 14 hours or so. I guess I should look up a city in the middle of their range and check the daylength. Anyhow, I know that people breed them with natural light here in the U.S. and that they start to breed “in spring”. Do they start to breed when the daylength hits 12.5 hours? Do they stop breeding at 14 hours? Someone once told me that in their natural range they breed all year. I used to give my domestics a break in the winter but with birds that lay so few eggs all year perhaps a year round 12.5 hour day would be fine and keep them laying (especially if I decide to let them raise their own chicks)? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've never raised jungle fowl and know next to nothing about them...that having been said, it sounds like you have researched the heck out of it. I like your idea to run the lights 12.5 hours a day. Makes sense to try and simulate their "native" lighting conditions. I have numberous reef aquariums. I try to simulate the amount of light a wild reef would recieve....starting out with low light intensity for sunrise and ramping up to full intensity then backing down to low again for sunset. Also, run moon light simulation according to the moon phase here. Anyway, blah, blah, sounds like a plan to me. Maybe someone will chime in with actual experince! Best of Luck

wow...
you have nice birds there,...
I just got a pair! I had to scramble a bit because they came a day earlier than expected and I was still building a new quarantine cage with a padded ceiling so they wouldn’t hurt themselves as they tend to launch skyward when startled. I was amazed at how calm this pair was as they were in the garage while I finished up. Then, amazingly, this pair has been far more calm than any other Junglefowl that I’ve had. I don’t think the padded ceiling was even necessary (but can’t hurt).

View attachment 1176516 View attachment 1176517

Back
Top Bottom