Green thumb is itching, anyone else?

That reminds me of Bonsai. Some bonsai trees are like that. I bet it'll look really cool!

I did a google search and saw what you're talking about! That's amazing! Unfortunately, the way I'm doing it may not work. With the bonsai they wrap the roots tightly to the rock with plastic. I guess my roots might just grow straight out... We'll see how it goes. The bottle is clear, so if I start seeing roots on the inside of the bottle, I'll have to reconsider. But thanks for the info! Consequently, I want a bonsai now lol!

Morning All, very nervous about this storm.been up all night. I don't have a generator, I keep thinking about all the foo from my garden in the freezer down stairs.
My house was built in 1901 and that has me nervous. If it was big enough I'd hang out in the chicken coop. Anyone out there in its path please be safe. Carol

Stay safe! I was thinking of you and some other friends of mine who keep pigeons along the east coast. I feel a little helpless, sitting in Iowa in gorgeous weather. Can't imagine what you guys are going through. Be prepared and lets hope for the best!
Let us know how you fared after the storm!

Rancher, start some raised beds. You can get alot out of raised beds with the square foot gardening system. It's easy too, no weeding required.
celebrate.gif

Stay safe! I was thinking of you and some other friends of mine who keep pigeons along the east coast. I feel a little helpless, sitting in Iowa in gorgeous weather. Can't imagine what you guys are going through. Be prepared and lets hope for the best!
Let us know how you fared after the storm!

Hey Al, other than a tree that was suppose to be posted in place by my landscaper everything is OK. No water in the basement.I don't have electric , I'm hoping that it is restored before everything in the freezer from the garden it destroyed.
Stay safe everyone out htere

Hopefully it is a chest freezer. They keep the cold in alot longer. Stay our out of the freezer as much as poosible will help it stay frozen also. We had our freezer accidentally unplugged one summer for 5 days and only the top layer of stuff was starting to get soft. Good luck!

Rancher, start some raised beds. You can get alot out of raised beds with the square foot gardening system. It's easy too, no weeding required.
celebrate.gif

Have raised beds at home and I know how much easier they can be. Here I could grow lettuce and more. It's in the 60's. However no one here takes care of anything. I have no idea how I raised such a child as my DS.

I had a cutting from one of my house plants started in a six pack. I left it in too long and noticed some really thick, long roots were climbing out of its compartment and into the adjoining compartments. They were perfectly molded to the container! So here's my winter project:
a7u3y9u8.jpg

I put a cool looking rock in the 2L bottle, then put the started plant on top of the rock and just barely covered the whole works with soil. I'm going to keep the soil surface fairly dry, so the roots have to grow down along the rock to moisture. As the roots get deeper I'll cut the bottle down and brush the soil away, making the roots go deeper and deeper. Eventually the whole rock will be exposed, with roots wrapped around it. Then I'll set the rock and plant on top of some soil in a real planter.
The idea is to make it look like those trees I see pictures of in the jungle. They appear to be growing right over the rubble of old ruins and stuff....
What do you think? Is this a bit too crazy? Do I have you worried yet?
You know what would be cool? If you got it to grow on one of those aquarium decorations that look like old ruins.
tongue.png

Oh, I didn't think of that! If the roots grow outward instead of downward, I'll have to replant it with plastic wrap holding the roots against the rock. If that happens ill look for ruins!! Great idea!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom