Green thumb is itching, anyone else?

You've all got me so curious about your great sounding gardens and all of your "girls". My imagination can only go so far. If it's not gobs 'o trouble, sure would like to see more pictures! And I have to say that some of the names are just a hoot!!

I watched a video on making little bio-degradable pots out of newspaper and another one on weaving up tomato plants. These are my new trial and error projects for this spring.

Anyone tried the weaving thing and did it work as well as it looks? Thanks for input!

I have uploaded lots of pics both here and fb. You can go to my albums on byc there are lots there.

I needed to get my mind off a few things, plus I had to get the plants out of the containers they came in. Sooo what better way then to build a box for my flowers! It's not perfect but not too bad considering I've only built one other small thing in my life. LOL I'm probably going to attach it to the coop once that's finished.

My DH got me 6 blueberry plants a few days ago at Home Depot. Today I was at Lowe's getting my son a new handle for the maul and noticed all their fruit plants are reduced to $4, so I got 4 thornless blackberry plants. They also had blueberries and grapes. Last week I got 4 huge plastic pots, 20' I think, marked down to $6.98. I am going to start out small this year. It has been a while since I tried to grow anything here. I lived in the south for so long, and couldn't get ever get the timing right for anything I planted outside. DD and I built a small greenhouse out of 2 of those over the toilet shelving units that we got for free, and some clear plastic. I love to re-purpose stuff.

Good morning The run for my hens was originally suppose to be an enclosure for the berry plant I buy for my husband every year for his birthday. When it was finished and I was standing inside it I turned to my friend Tony (the builder) and said this would be perfect for chickens. And So It Began....I had to dig out and transplant the blueberries,the currents and the goose berries. I left the thornless blackberries since the girls don't seem to care for them.My husband went crazy to say the least. He wanted something to keep the birds out and I put birds(although my ladies would be insulted if you called them "birds") in. So what I'm trying to say is blueberries do great in pots. They have shallow roots and need an acid soil 4-6ph and you can control that in pots.I bought that new "lemonade" variety last season and they are loaded with berries (tiny) I can't wait to see what they look like when they are ripe.

I love the green house idea. Again my husband goes crazy 'cause he says I am constantly "garbage"picking and dragging it home to use for something. You know what they say about one mans garbage.

Good luck with the berries and the gardening(yes I babble)
My DH got me 6 blueberry plants a few days ago at Home Depot. Today I was at Lowe's getting my son a new handle for the maul and noticed all their fruit plants are reduced to $4, so I got 4 thornless blackberry plants. They also had blueberries and grapes. Last week I got 4 huge plastic pots, 20' I think, marked down to $6.98. I am going to start out small this year. It has been a while since I tried to grow anything here. I lived in the south for so long, and couldn't get ever get the timing right for anything I planted outside. DD and I built a small greenhouse out of 2 of those over the toilet shelving units that we got for free, and some clear plastic. I love to re-purpose stuff.

Lilbirds - Very nice. I have a recycled chair in my yard the same color planted with yellow violas.

Inhis - I have a book titled "Potted Junk". I took an old Deer target I found in the woods here and stuck "new" legs on it and hope to cover it with wire and make a topiary out of it. I also found an old wheel barrow that I filled with Allysum. I got the idea from a magazine. I have a wooden door from when we replaced it that I want to put up as a door way to the woods. And I need an idea for an big truck tire that it out there but I can't figure out what to do with it. I'd like to do something with it standing up rather than laying down filled with flowers. Something unusual.

One thing I learned is that things like berries, currants and goose berries will grow in semi shaded areas so they will make a great border for the yard. The thing I think with black berries and raspberries is folks don't tend to them right and they get our of control. The Maine Co extension site has great info on pruning and varieties for cold areas.

Queen - in poorer times many things in our house came off the curb. I was not opposed to dumpster diving in the back of stores either. Stores throw out some good stuff when they remodel. Once found brand new baby socks. We just washed them up and they were fine.

Now the green house thing? I saw in a copy of Country Garden where they build a garden shed with the walls made from recycled doors. It was really cool. I've thought about doing something like that for a coop. Wouldn't that be cool to have all the doors installed so they open? Each door was painted and they all tied in together so it looked really cool.

Well gotta go the weather is nice today here. May be 70*

Ta, ta for now,

Rancher

Those are all great idea for re-purposing stuff. I love re-purposing things, it drives my husband nuts because I want to save everything and he hates clutter. We have some old metal well pumps, one of which is missing the actually pumping part with the handle so it just the base with the top open where the water spout is and I already have plans to put that in our garden with maybe some sort of cascading flowers coming out of it. The other one has all of it's parts so it will probably just be an ornament in the garden. It's attached to a well house right now that is kind of falling apart and just looks like an eye sore in the yard. I like well houses, but this one needs to go. We will probably just take it apart and use whatever wood is still good on it for other projects.

We also have an old wooden wheelbarrow/cart that I am going to repaint and fill with potted plants. My brain is going crazy with ideas now that I have some awesome places to plants (hopefully) beautiful gardens.

Back
Top Bottom